A few questions about web design

Ⓙⓐⓚⓔ

Hey guys I think this is the right place to post this........................I hope.
Any ways I am a high School senior and I am really considering going into web design but I have a few general questions.

1. I have heard the terms web designer and web developer what is the difference? Are the basically the same thing or does a designer do more of the "front end" visual stuff and a developer do the "back end" and make the site work. If so can you be both or do you have to basically choose?

2.For School one of the graduation requirements is that we go on a job shadow. I job shadowed a web designer in a small family owned shop. She said she chargers 100 dollars an hour. She also showed me Gold fish web design and said they also pay 100 an hour. I would assume if you work for a large company 100 dollars an hour would be the top of the pay scale Is this the norm and what could I expect as a stating pay?

3. If you work for a larger company do you work normal 40 hour work weeks?

4. I have pretty expensive hobbys. I have nitro RC cars which cost hundreds of dollars and spend alot on aftermarket tires, engines, pipes ect. Also I love trucks and like to go off roading I want to build a Pre Runner(Production truck basically turned into a street legal trophy truck that doesnt cost 500000 dollars). Would I be able to live comfortably being a web designer? Would I make a decent living being a freelance web designer?

5. Last how many years of collage do I need right now my understanding is I only need 2 years, and how hard is it to find work in this field?

Thanks guys

IT Notification

It's a good paying job but to become rich or pursue rich hobbies you have two options:
1-) get another part time job
2-) ask rich dad/mother to help you out.

There is not much difference between designer and developer. A developer can develop and design but designer not necessarily develop.

Hope this helps.

IT

GeneticOpera

1. I have heard the terms web designer and web developer what is the difference? Are the basically the same thing or does a designer do more of the "front end" visual stuff and a developer do the "back end" and make the site work. If so can you be both or do you have to basically choose?
You can do both if you're good at both, though most companies will have you do one or the other simply because it's faster to have two people work on a project than just one. It's like game designer and game programmer. Some people could do both but it's hard to be the best at something if you try to be good at everything, you know?

2.For School one of the graduation requirements is that we go on a job shadow. I job shadowed a web designer in a small family owned shop. She said she chargers 100 dollars an hour. She also showed me Gold fish web design and said they also pay 100 an hour. I would assume if you work for a large company 100 dollars an hour would be the top of the pay scale Is this the norm and what could I expect as a stating pay?
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Web_Designer/Salary

3. If you work for a larger company do you work normal 40 hour work weeks?
That depends on the company. If you are workign for a web desig company than yes, but if you're working for a company that hires you to create their website then probably not.

4. I have pretty expensive hobbys. I have nitro RC cars which cost hundreds of dollars and spend alot on aftermarket tires, engines, pipes ect. Also I love trucks and like to go off roading I want to build a Pre Runner(Production truck basically turned into a street legal trophy truck that doesnt cost 500000 dollars). Would I be able to live comfortably being a web designer? Would I make a decent living being a freelance web designer?
It seriously depends on how good you get. Remember that a lot of hosting sites now offer free templates so you need to be able to design great sites that have coding elements that make them that much better. Refer to the link above.

5. Last how many years of collage do I need right now my understanding is I only need 2 years, and how hard is it to find work in this field?
As with any job, the more school the better- and remember that with IT jobs you'll be going back to school if you want to be considered up-to-date. You can get a certificate in 2 years, but if you want to be a designer and a programmer then you'll need more than 2 years.

lolkaykay

1. The lines are blurry but usually, web designer can refer to just a user interface designer who does almost no coding or just basic front-end coding. Web developer can mean front-end coding and back-end coding, but usually does not do any design.

I think GeneticOpera covered the other points well.

Ⓙⓐⓚⓔ

Thanks a lot guys. I am definitely going to work well hopefully going to lol for a web design company a consistent salary would be nice.

What degree or degrees should I get?