960 grid system based web design

gbaquer3

960 grid system is a powerful tool created to speed up the designing process. Those who have never heard about it visit this site for further information : 960.gs/.

In my opinion this system can be very useful when trying to create a simple and congruent web layout easily. However, it is hard to implement when trying to create more complicated layouts.

What do you think about 960 grid system? Have you ever used it? In which cases do you think you can implement it?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
However, it is hard to implement when trying to create more complicated layouts.

have to disagree with you here, the whole point of it is to make complicated layouts easier to manage!

gbaquer3

yes I know but with it you have a very limited range of widths. If you want some elements be of a determined width you are forced to break the 960 grid layout.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes. but the purpose is to stick to the grid, if you want to break the grid, dont use the grid. the 960 is divisible by 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,16,20,24,32, etc etc.
with your appends and prepends you can make it extremely flexible.

by dividing by 32 that gives you values that range upwards from 30px to 960px, or by 64 to give you 15px intervals.
honestly I cant see how you cannot find a value to suit your needs.

Last edited:
Actually I never use it for the simple designs, more for the more complicated lay outs. If I’m doing a more complicated one I also wire frame in fireworks using it and find it much easier to lay out and code it that way but, to each their own.

chihuynh

I use 960 mostly in photoshop when I create website. So that when I "convert" my psd to html, it would make it so much clear to arrange and I don't have to guess.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use 960 mostly in photoshop when I create website. So that when I "convert" my psd to html, it would make it so much clear to arrange and I don't have to guess.

That's me. I abandoned the framework about a year ago, but I still use the Photoshop file, which I've further customized, to lay out my designs.