Web Designers: School or Self Taught?

Islander250

Hey everyone, I've recently become very interested in web design and my goal is to eventually have my own business. So far I've been learning through books I've rented from the library and from online resources, and I have been looking at schools in my city that offer web design programs. The tuition that I'd be looking at is around $7,000 and with all of the free information and resources out there I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother going to school for it. So, my question is aimed towards the professional web designers out there who make their living doing this. Did you go to school to learn web design or did you teach yourself with the help of books/online resources?

Thanks!

Websynergi

Nothing beats experience, try doing some website designs for free to build up your portfolio. You could then try and get some work experience in a web design studio. An employer would look more favorably on somebody that can do the job rather than someone with just qualifications.

Islander250

Thanks for the ideas guys. I've been over at w3schools.com so far and it's been great. Havn't checked lynda.com but I've heard it's good too.
Bradley, how did you start out? I've checked out some of your posts, and your website and it seems you are doing well. I'd love to know how someone as established as yourself got started.

On another note, does anybody know why there are ads on my post? I don't see them on anyone's responses...is there a way to get rid of them?

Nate_Weller

I'm still in high school, so am so far self-taught. Whether I go to school for web design depends on how much I learn in the next couple years, and what the web standards are at the time.

LeeHarris

Self Taught Web Designer

Im a full time and freelance web designer... mostly self taught.

When i was first looking for a web design job I had no qualifications so i started working on low level websites to build up a portfolio. I then enrolled on an Adobe Course (which i think was a waste of money, so I wouldn't recommend it. In the end its all about your portfolio).

If your passionate about web design, you can teach yourself no problem. There is lots of online resources to help you along the way.

Lee Harris
Freelance Web Designer - Southampton

michaelgee123

I think it all depends on which way is most effective for you to learn. I am a beginning website developer learning as I go and I am finding that there are huge amounts of online resources. I use mostly w3schools.com as well as YouTube.

shovenose

Banned
Some people learn better in a traditional classroom format; others are better off with something like w3schools, or watching YouTube videos, or getting help on forums.
But to be honest start with a great portfolio; that is the most imporant! Clients don't really care if you went to college (they don't ask that). They ask "let's see your portfolio" because if they like what they see they will come to you for their next website.

LouTheDesigner

I learned through both. It all depends on your learning style. If you get adjunct professors that are still in the field, you are better off. I've learned so much through experience after my degree it's unbelievable. One thing I dislike about university education is that they use tenure-ship. I say F that -- the person with more knowledge should obtain the job.

Imagine being a Journalism major, and your learning from a teacher who hasn't been in the field in 20 years and still uses a typewriter. Adjuncts are at least active in the field and know what trends are currently going on.

When it comes to school, either go big or go home and learn big.

-Lou

Islander250

Thanks guys, you've all had great advice! I've been learning on my own and have really been enjoying it. It really does seem that all the information I need is available for free, and it helps that there are online communities where I can ask the pros for help and advice. I'm feeling very excited about learning this trade, and I can't wait until I'm building sites!

-Matt

Nathan Joshua

Thanks guys, you've all had great advice! I've been learning on my own and have really been enjoying it. It really does seem that all the information I need is available for free, and it helps that there are online communities where I can ask the pros for help and advice. I'm feeling very excited about learning this trade, and I can't wait until I'm building sites!

-Matt

I've learnt all that I know about web design and development absolutely free.

It might be wise to do web design in college so you don't pick up bad habits in code early on.

Download Photoshop and mess around with the tools, watch videos on how to use the tools etc

When you start coding use Notepad++, do not become a slave to automated coding. It is bad code.

Use W3schools as a resource for learning all the <div> <br /> <p> tags and what they do.

Good luck!

printchesco

While it is a good idea to get some training from school programs, at the end of the day, skills, experience and a solid portfolio are all that matter. So make an effort to learn as much as you can from books and online resources. Practice a lot and build your own portfolio that you can show to future clients.