Would you review my website ?

guillaumeb

hey
I'm currently working on a new minimalist/retro design for my small Tumblr lifestream. It's still a work in progress though

>>> www.streamlog.net

BTW are there any safe color that would more or like display alike in any monitor calibration. My website, made on a Mac, is supposed to be beige but it can turn grey in one Dell screen...

Anyway thank you very much

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks OK. i'd fix your background tho.

unf. anything but B+W can look different on a horribly optimised screen.
and even those two can look bad if its a really badly optimised screen!

guillaumeb

Thank for you reply. You mean fix the background because of the color which does not render properly everywhere ?

I'm wondering how other web designers who actually use this color (and there are quite a few > http://is.gd/rGmLCk) actually do. What's the point of colors monitor if it's just for BW web designing. What I did was to make sure that the contrast ration was OK.

MarkR

Looks fine on my multi screen set up, one of my monitors is horribly calibrated and it actually makes it look fairly washed out retro so there's nothing to worry about.

guillaumeb

Phreaddee : How do you suggest I do that?
By setting the background to the HTML element instead of the BODY or by creating a new fixed div encapsulating the whole content ?

Im not a professional... just playing around.. :)

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Phreaddee about the fixed bg. Nice site design, well done!

Fixed BG:
Code:
body {
  background: #FBF6E1 url(http://static.tumblr.com/akcw3ea/byKlpai11/wood.gif) fixed;
}

justrobin

Nice site you have here!

Anyways, may I ask what is the purpose of the site? Who are the target visitors?

I do not like the font color and background combination. The text content is painful to the eyes. Perhaps there is something that might be changed.

I am not good in web designing but got a little background about it. Simplicity is good but not limit to that. I can read very topics but I could not sustain reading for a longer time.

Just my opinion...

guillaumeb

Thank!!!

I fixed the background, that was easy :)

As for the target well, it's a Tumblr weblog, a sort of multi-format weblog with about 550 followers but in fact it's mainly a way for me to bookmark stuff that i find interesting online, a sort of annotated bookmark manager where i can also post videos or photos that i stumbled upon for future references.

As for the text/bkg combination, well it's a dark text (#222;) on a sort of beige (EBE8D8)/ grey background. According to snook.ca, the contrast ration seems to be ok