Wordpress or custom CMS

CaldwellYSR

I'm just curious for opinions here. Would you rather create your own content management system with php/mysql or whatever other tools you would use or use a prebuilt thing like wordpress or joomla? What, in your opinion, are the pros and cons of both approaches?

I haven't done either of these yet so my opinion is completely conjecture. I feel like I would rather build my own CMS. I don't really know the pros or cons of either way. I know building my own will take much longer and that wordpress/joomla are widely accepted because they work so I feel like I may be choosing the wrong path but I still like the idea of making it myself.

Pheno

Personally I would think anyone creating their own custom CMS just for the sake of it is wasting their time. 1000s of man hours have been put into developing and testing Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal, so you might as well take advantage of that rather than reinventing the wheel. There is plenty of scope for coding extensions and modifications to these CMSs to satisfy your desire for coding :)

CaldwellYSR

Does anybody else want to add anything? I was hoping to start a conversation rather than just have one responder :) Not that I don't value your response pheno

Pheno

The people who are in favour of building their own CMS are all too busy bugfixing it to have time to post here :)

LouTheDesigner

Just go with wordpress. Once you learn how to reverse engineer it, you can pretty much not refer to it as wordpress anymore. I'll dismantle a theme in an hour to get what I want. It's those extensions that I just love because they've saved me so many hours of coding.

-Lou

retaingain

I think customizing your own CMS has huge value, but depends on what you are looking to accomplish. Are you trying to create a shopping cart or just manage text and images?

CaldwellYSR

I think customizing your own CMS has huge value, but depends on what you are looking to accomplish. Are you trying to create a shopping cart or just manage text and images?

Right now I'm not trying to actually do it for anything serious. I was just learning php and the tutorial had me building a cms so I wondered why people would use wordpress or joomla or drupal and take all the limitations from each one when they could build their own.