window, Linux or Mac?

What is the best overall OS?

• Total voters

conor

What is the best OS to use for Web Design and Programing?

I personally use Linux Fedora, but let me know what you use! :)

constanthosting

from what I hear macs are the best for graphics, really, I generally use whatever flavor of machine is sitting in front of me. Right now I'm on Windows XP :)

suz

I've only ever used Windows so it's hard for me to comment. I do have Linux on a laptop but I only use that to browse the internet.

cmjvulavala

I've voted for Linux because that is the best mix of good graphics tools (GIMP) as well as being good for actual programming. In second would be Windows, good operating system but its a bit harder to set up a server than with linux and not as much free software :(

Mac is good for design but not for programming which lets it down and I would never use it for a design/programming environment

conor

I don't really consider GIMP as good graphical software, my experiences with it were all negative! But that is the one downside of Linux in my opinion - the lack of graphical software.

conor

I try to do all my graphics at once to get it over with. So I have vista on my machine and I boot from it when I have to... I use Photoshop CS3, which I think is a nice program. It's a pity that it can't be run on Linux, believe me I've tried - but I've only managed to get older versions to work.

Geodun1

I'm an old Windows user. I understand that Linux offers a more competitive environment, but facts are that more programs are made for Windows, and most of the stuff on Linux has been on Windows for years. I don't want to sit around waiting for people to make copies of my favorite programs :)

conor

I'm an old Windows user. I understand that Linux offers a more competitive environment, but facts are that more programs are made for Windows

That is the one downside of running Linux! It is hard to get around at first, but when you do get round it you realise that there are far more advantages than disadvantages on Linux!

, and most of the stuff on Linux has been on Windows for years. I don't want to sit around waiting for people to make copies of my favorite programs :)

I don't agree with that statement at all. If that was true then no one would use Linux. The fact is that Linux offers loads of things that Windows has never offered, and i don't think that it will ever offer! Linux takes all the faults out of an Operating System. The only one downside, as you mentioned above is the lack of availability of software.

Amber24

i have only used windows and linux so i cant really say which one is best to use. Out of those two i like linux better though.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Macs are just like linux, either you hate it, love it or have no never used it, but fact is, that for graphics and the likes, macs are king.

I run Vista myself. I am to lazy to deal with the complexities of linux. Simply administering my server (CentOS) gives me gray hair. If macs weren't so damn expensive, I'd buy an iMac or a PowerBook.

Also, just for the record, NO operating system is fault less! Which is best, really is just a matter of personal preference.

jnjc

I try to do all my graphics at once to get it over with. So I have vista on my machine and I boot from it when I have to... I use Photoshop CS3, which I think is a nice program. It's a pity that it can't be run on Linux, believe me I've tried - but I've only managed to get older versions to work.

I agree about gimp, every now and again I try and use it but I always end up getting frustrated with it, when you said you didn't use windows I was hoping that you had found something other than gimp for linux...

conor

I agree about gimp, every now and again I try and use it but I always end up getting frustrated with it, when you said you didn't use windows I was hoping that you had found something other than gimp for linux...

New graphical software for linux - have you tried the new GIMP 2.6.3? It if a million times better than the old one and its not as complex or awkward! :L

CT-Matt

I used PCs for about 4 years, then tried out a Macbook and am now completely addicted. Excellent for web design =)

ckeener

Though there is no one clear best operating system, each does have its advantages and disadvantages, and different people will be best using different ones. Microsoft Windows is the most common operating system and is a reasonable choice for most people.

Matthew

Always have been a windows user, just starting to look at linux systems now. I also want to buy a mac. :p

flipboy

I guess I'm the only one who uses mac. its really good for designing but not so good for programming.. but I hardly do programming so it's alright for me

plumpang

Though there is no one clear best operating system, each does have its advantages and disadvantages, and different people will be best using different ones. Microsoft Windows is the most common operating system and is a reasonable choice for most people.

Ckeener is right,
Each OS have advantages and disadvantages, weak and strong.
So its depend from us which one we will use and purpose.

specialk

I have to go with Windows on this one. No other OS has as much compatibility with everything as Windows does.

And plus Windows is the only OS I have available. :D

ms2134

I tend to use Linux when i can and Windows is just there because most drivers and pieces of hardware work better with it.

If i was able to move over to Linux Completely and find that everything i need worked on it then... GREAT!

BUT.... I cannot.

Regards,
~Mike