Will home page makeover kill ranking?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by kenmtb, May 14, 2010.

to remove all ads.
  1. kenmtb

kenmtb New Member

Hi-
    I am considering redoing my old school HTML based website and replacing some of the pages with pages generated in ms publisher.

I made a pretty slick looking test home page but I noticed that much my old text will be converted to graphics by using word-art.

I have important key words strategically positioned in my web pages. I am worried that I will loose a lot Google value due to replacing text with graphics. Is it better to stick with an HTML based site that has been Google friendly or will using ms publisher be a detriment?
    Thank you

2. anna

anna New Member

Yes, you will lose value using graphics instead of text. I would suggest using HTML/CSS...

3. PixelPusher

PixelPusher Super Moderator Staff Member

Web crawlers (spiders) will not be able to index graphical text, so yes you will loose value/ranking.

Figure on average an html page should have at least 200-300 words of content, which you will want to consider when converting text to graphics.

4. kenmtb

kenmtb New Member

Thank you.
    I guess the simple pages are the best.
    Also by using publisher, I noticed the pages were becoming bloated.

5. MatheusSEO

MatheusSEO New Member

6. PixelPusher

PixelPusher Super Moderator Staff Member

As a rule of thumb, you don't want to have seo-rich content more than three directories deep:

HTML:
    www.example.com/second/third/page.html

In your case you fall into the three directory guideline so i think you are good.

7. Almo99

Almo99 New Member

Wasn't there something recently about alt-text working fine for swapping a word for an image?

Essentially if I want to replace "Bunchion Widgets" with an image, and I use the alt text="Bunchion Widgets" the image will hold the same value as the word that was there previously?

I'm only talking Google here.. not the other crawlers.

8. emilyl

emilyl New Member

There is something called cache of the pages of your site. If there is continuous changes the ranking will effect a lot.