Who should buy the stock photo - designer or client?

avp

Hi guys! I'm a new graduate so I'm still confused with all rules and regulation in the design industry.

When it comes to buying things online like stock photo, audio or fonts for a client project, should the designer buy it then reimburse after or should the client buy it from the website? I mean, obviously, it's either but which option is the best?

And, what's the difference if the designer bought it and just give the client the contents (photo, audio, font) and the license afterwards as to the clients buying it themselves? What the pros and cons?

I am just learning all this license and such. I just want to know it properly.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
They hired you to do the work, for which they'll pay. So, you do it, then add it to the invoice.

d a v e

but make it clear before you pay for them that the price of any stock images will be added to the invoice

avp

Ok. I'll do that! and thank you for your answers.

One more thing guys. If you want textures for background or likes, do you also get it from stock photos? I'm thinking it is illegal to just use images from Google. Or is it acceptable?

Roddy

If I was a (prospective) website owner I would want to have documentation to prove that I had paid for the right to include somebody else's copyrighted material on my site.

I think you should get some legal advice before you consider buying a license and transferring it to a client.

I'm thinking it is illegal to just use images from Google. Or is it acceptable?

A web design forum isn't the appropriate place to give legal opinions. I would seriously doubt that any of the members of this forum are copyright lawyers in the Philippines!

AsheSkyler

I'm thinking it is illegal to just use images from Google. Or is it acceptable?

I don't know if it's legal or not either, but the vast majority of artists really pitch a fit if they find their work used on another site without permission, especially if they aren't even credited for the image. Some will even go across the border with a lawsuit.

d a v e

we might not be lawyers but it's pretty obvious not to use an image - from Google or anywhere - unless it has licence information that explicitly states that you ARE free to use it - e.g. check the terms and conditions of use on any 'free' stock site, and it it's on google etc assume you can't use it.
of course you can always go to the original site for the image and contact the owner and ask for permission to use it or ask how much it would cost.

if you're not sure about it, then don't use it ;)

Edge

On the legals front and turning this on its head - if I was the client I would buy, otherwise I would have no way of knowing the image was kosher. Ultimately I, the client, would be held responsible if it goes on the website and the license doesn't permit it. All the main stock sites have software that crawls the web and looks for unlicensed use of their images. When the software finds it the website owner gets a bill for damages. You have to be pretty careful about what images you use - you may think they are licence free but how can you be sure?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
if I was the client I would buy, otherwise I would have no way of knowing the image was kosher.

every stock photo I've purchased has given me an invoice, and the terms of the licence. I usually give the client a duplicate of this just so they know the image is "kosher"

Roddy

...like stock photo, audio or fonts...

As a general rule I would advise against getting involved in licensing music for a website. Pass the (legal) buck to the site owner.

krymson

I can't speak for the other designers here, but i know in my contract it state and I quote...
Client agrees to reimburse Consultant for any of the following expenses necessary in completion of the Work: (e.g. Fonts, Messengers, Proofs, Props, Research, Shipping, Software, Stock photography, Travel, Telephone Consultation)

Us as the designers should buy the stock photography but get reimbursed at the end of the project.

Never knew an image could be "kosher" unless a rabbi blesses it then I guess it could be considered "kosher"