white horizontal lines appear below slices in email

ab-pwm

we're designing our emails in Photoshop then saving the HTML for web. this generates the table that we then edit the HTML for in Dreamweaver.

when we send out emails, some email gateways show white lines at the base of the slices, particularly in Comcast. when viewed through Gmail, iPhone, Entourage or general Mail program on a Mac, the white lines do not appear.

at first we'd thought this was due to the spacer.gif that is created when the email is not in a grid table. we created another email based on a grid layout with no spacer.gif and the lines still appear.

we're noticing this on quite a few other companies that send out emails.

anyone have any thoughts on why this might be happening or how to resolve it? we've come to no conclusions.

thanks in advance.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slice height inconsistent?
Have you removed the border and border-spacing from the table?
Do you have a html example we could look at?

sysgenmedia

Sending out html-based emails is a particularly tricky problem. All email systems have very strict rules on which tags / css styles work and which don't, and they vary between providers. So in the end you need to go with the lowest common denominator.

I believe there's services out there which will check emails for you and even display how they will appear in various provider's email systems, but I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

As John requested, an example of the code / result would be helpful. It would be basically impossible to diagnose otherwise.

In the meantime, you may want to search Google for things like "html email rules" to find lists of what is / isn't allowable in html emails.

emilyl

I wouldn't trust the HTML Photoshop outputs, because generally you'll find thee code generated is over the top and more suitable for web browsers than an email. That aside, it would help to see your HTML to see where you've gone wrong.