which screen size and resolution should i prefer?

nullbytes

hello friends,
I have been into web designing for 4-5 months. I am going to buy a new laptop. which screen size or resolution should i prefer? please anybody describe it thoroughly, here somebody might searching for this as well.
which type of screen is the best?
I am thinking of buying gigabyte. anybody has experience about this brand?

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
No experience with the brand. For me, I'd go as high as your budget will allow on resolution. I'm on 1366 X 768 right now, and it's useable, but it's cramped.

Roddy

I never even thought of trying to design a website on a laptop. I use a 24inch iMac and that's too small at times!

When I'm on the road I use a 17inch and everything seems to take twice as long to do.

zoran123456

I check for screen width of 1024px which gives me 970px width of space for web site. And that is more than enough for any web page you need.

nullbytes

can anybody explain screen resolution and screen size in term of web design?
generally laptops have less screen size than a pc. i saw two laptops with same resolution but having different screen sizes. how will that differentiate between them?

chrishirst

Staff member
The screen size or resolution isn't really the main concern, it is the size of the client browser window that really counts. People on "big screens" and/or high resolution monitors may not be running their browser window at full screen, that is not minimised, because minimised is being reduced to an icon or "button" on the task bar.

Resolution and screen sizes are not one and the same.
Screen size is the diagonal distance from the inside corners of the display area. Monitor resolution is the number of invidual nodes (pixels) that make up the physical display area.

Display resolution is the number of dots that are currently being displayed along the horizontal and vertical axes, each one of these dots maybe be using one or more of the physical pixels, and then, there are CSS pixels as well).

Glad you asked this question yet? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution