which code editor do you use?

nullbytes

I have been using dreamweaver cs6 for a few months. It's too heavy and loaded with features that i don't need. I really don't like it.
I just need a code editor which has the features like
Latest html5 and css3 syntax support.
Syntax auto hint.
php syntax support.
allow extensions so that i can add support for wordpress tags.

is there any open source/free code editor for such tasks?
Or can u suggest a good premium editor?
Thanks

chrishirst

Staff member
My current weapon of choice is Geany mostly because I can work in the same environment on a Windows box or a Linux box.

Amaya developed by the W3c so is pretty much up to date.

Arachnophilia which has a FTP upload/file synch included and used for non-CMS projects.

notepad++ which also has a FTP extension put the portable version on a memory stick --- use it anywhere

Aptana studio V3 is good (IMO) but change the theme/skin to the version 2 look because a black background is really crap to try and code on. Aptana is more like DW, as it is an IDE environment rather 'just' a code editor

I've also used PageBreeze Has a WYSIWYG environment but the generated code is less cluttered than MS FrontPage/ExpressionWeb.

Aedix is pretty good and was my 'weapon of choice' at one time. but sadly, development has been discontinued by the developer but it's still on my machine and still used from time to time.

chrishirst

Staff member
I tried Komodo (ver 4.3.1 according to my archive) so I guess at the time I wasn't overly impressed with it.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using Sublime Text 2 pretty exclusively lately. The interface is fairly minimal, but very powerful. Has some very well-implemented, intuitive features, and with Package Control, finding and installing add-ons (including WP support) is ridiculously easy.

nullbytes

Finally, i have decided sublime text 2. But the html editor is not that good, so i will use komodo for HTML coding.
Thanks my friends

AsheSkyler

I use Notepad++ on my Windows systems and Gedit on my Linux systems.

The only reason I switched from Notepad to Notepad++ is because it's colorful. The only thing I really use in Notepad+ is the "replace all" search function and using the TAB key on multiple lines.

I did try a few other editors available to Ubuntu, but uninstalled them all later because they were a mass of toolbars and sidepanes, and one of them would not let you change the author meta tag. It would constantly replace it with your username on the computer. Anybody viewing the code source would certainly get a kick out of "Author CLICKY-BOX" but it annoyed me.

nullbytes

The more i am using sublime the more i am falling in love with it :D
It's really a cool and mutliplatform text editor.
It's the fastest code editor i ever seen. Almost unlimited features if you are not afraid of coding.

I switched to sublime text 2 years ago and never looked back. With the zen-coding add in, amazing. Using that with Scout for Sass has givne me a realy nice workflow.

notarypublic

I've been using Sublime Text 2 pretty exclusively lately. The interface is fairly minimal, but very powerful. Has some very well-implemented, intuitive features, and with Package Control, finding and installing add-ons (including WP support) is ridiculously easy.

I was won over by sublime at my last contract. For larger projects, this tool is a must! I only wish it had options to commit/check out files from SVN or Git, or upload via FTP.