which career should I choose? between web design and graphic design

griceldax10

What are the differences between web design and graphic design and which career should I choose?

I am currently a junior in high school (also taking classes at the local college to get ahead) and want to have a career in some sort of computer based designing, but I can't choose. The two I'm mainly considering are web design and graphic design. I personally would prefer being in graphic design, but I hear that the income isn't that great, and I'm not that creative or decisive, so I'm leaning towards web design. I'm just not that sure, though.
I'm trying to find out class and skill requirements, annual salary, and maybe more details about each career. Also personal input would be great, too!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arty creative? Graphic design
Pedantic, logical, analytical, mathematical? Web design
Bit of both? Do both.
There is a very solid path in gd, good degrees, good job prospects, across all fields, pay not fantastic but good enough (if your good enough!)
Wd on the other hand is a bit of a different beast. Its a newer profession. More experience and skills based than gd. No one cares for degrees, they arent worth the paper they're on.
Lots of bottom feeders, got to fight through the masses to get noticed. again pay not fantastic but good enough (if your good enough!)

artimes

Graphic Design is a very specific thing. You need to be very artistic and be able to think outside the box. But it's also a tech, so it's possible to learn graphic design incase you aren't artistically inclined. The great thing about being a graphic designer is you don't have to just be constricted to designing for websites, you also have the choice of promo in other areas like - posters, leaflets, brochures, magazines and the list goes on.

As a web designer you should be competent in graphic design but there are a number of other areas you need to get clued up on like CSS, HTML, Javascript etc. You have to be more of an all rounder to be a web designer and have more skills in your repertoire.

kenfoster3416

Currently, web design is at a much higher demand and has a much higher starting salary compared to graphic design. I higher percentage of grads are hired for web design. If you choose web design, it will still require at least a basic knowledge for graphic design, layout, color theory and photography.