Where to start? shopping cart or website?

gschoenhofen

If I start with my website will I run into trouble customizing it to work with whatever e-commerce solution I choose?

I'm starting a business building computers for people.. They wont be too custom, maybe just adding in an extra stick of memory or changed the processor speed. Or a choice between 2 seperate video cards but my pre-designed builds are going to be pretty basic and not so much customizable unless it's a special request.

I want people to be able to pay with credit card.
I want my site to use some pretty basic flash..

I'm thinking something simple kind of like this - http://www.amadeodecada.com/pages/home.html

As for my shopping cart... I researched many different websites with shopping carts and I really like the design of this one. http://www.pugetsystems.com/gaming.php

If someone could just steer me in the right direction of what types of code I will be using and some main obstacles I will have to overcome.. it would be very much appreciated. I'm good with photoshop so I'll be doing all my own artwork and such.. Any sorts of links to websites with templates I can look at or tutorials I can read would be great as well.

I'm also trying to figure out a little more about how I'm going to connect my cart with my website.. I've really only worked with html before so I'm probably in for a surprise but I learn things pretty quick and with some good tutorials and lots of trial and error I feel like I can do this.

Thank you,

Geoff

starteasy

For ease of use, I would create a zen cart template. You should be able to fairly easily integrate any php into the template you may or may not have at the moment, but php will be the code you will be using, connecting to MySQL.

sheanhoxie

Start with your website first, get that dialed in with a look and feel that you like. Then move on to the cart, I would recommend OSCommerce or Zen Cart since both are free. Zen Cart is a bit easier to customized and work with as I just found out with my latest install which just happened to be my first install of Zen Cart.

3dmagicaldesign

You need to start with the web design first, then, once it has been totally approved you can insert the shopping cart and customize it to your web template.