Where do you work?

qbmike

Hi Folks.

I'm a 42 year old guy in need of a career change do to an injury. I have a hard time traveling long distances and I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm thinking about becoming a web programmer, web master, or some other programmer like c+ or vb.net that can be done remotely, (telecommute) or at least some or most of the time I could do work from my home.

I have always been interested in computer related technology, I built my last computer for example. I know Basic like the back of my hand, some C, Assembly and Visual Basic. I am about to sign up for 2 year course in "Web Analyst/Programmer" and I'm wondering if I am headed the right direction.

My question for all of you is:

Can you work from home in this field?
Also, if you can "telecommute", is this a common practice?
Maybe comment on where you all work from and or if you are a freelancer?

Thanks,
Mike

Ennesus

i'm currently working in Amsterdam at http://www.skytours.nl
I travel 3 Hours to my work at 1 day, but it is temporary work in my vacation
I got 1 year studie left, but if i want i can work at home.

For my freelance project I'm working at home, except meetings with a client

cchildr

Depends on what exactly you're interested in. Freelance is the easiest way to guarantee that you work from home. Certain employers (in my experience, about 25%) are willing to let you telecommute. Another 25% will let you work from home most of the time, but expect you to come in for meetings with clients and the rest of your team about once a week or so. The rest expect you to be in their office 100% of the time so that they can watch you like a two year old to make sure that you aren't "wasting their money" or whatev. Good luck.

3dmagicaldesign

Hi Mike

Well.. First at all let me say that you are not old, you need to think you are an experienced person. Being old is a mental situation.

I've been working freelance since 2004, I started doing SEO for some small businesses, in January 2008 I started 3dmagicaldesigns.com , there were a lot of things we didn't know, we have learned a lot working online. All you need to do is be constant and careful, there are a lot of scammers outside, you need to always analyze the work source.

If you are interested in start working online what if you start offering our website development services, we could work on a % for every project that you sell. That's all you would need to do.

Send me a PM and let me know

wishbone

You can start your own site and do advertising and affiliates for other sites. Or you can enroll too to gain knowledge like in web programming or graphics designing.