where do I go from here?

bazinga

I'm a web designer that really does not have much of a coding background. I know HTML, XML, CSS, Cold Fusion and a little Javascript. I also know about mysql databases.

I have an education but wasn't really taught any coding like ASP or PHP. I have a full time job at a newspaper handling their website. It's nothing fancy, just an HTML based site. I am also doing freelance design.

I am in the process of looking for a new job and have seen a lot of postings for web developers and web interface designers. I don't classify myself as either since I don't do a lot of coding. To get a good job I feel that I will need to learn to do more.

What do you suggest that I learn? I'm leaning more towards PHP. I've looked into Silverlight. Any suggestions?

IT Notification

Hi Bazinga,
I'm not a web designer myself either and assuming you know bit more than I do. However, I tend do designing as part of a hobby. In your case if you want make this as a career then I would suggest do these:
1-) understand, practise, and become confident in using web designing tools, software, and content managements. For example; Dreamweaver, XML Spy, Flash, Macromedia etc... As my expereince says lot of companies they use these tools either to create or maintain their websites (internet or intranet).
2-) Understand, practise and become confident using mysql, php, javascript, asp.net, c#. At least you should have enough understanding that if a web designing software generates a code for you then you can debug or modify to your need.
3-) Creativity - suggest ideas.
4-) Definitley get a certificate/diploma or something to sell yourself to the employers.
5-) Build yourself that you are confident, proactive, and have knowledge or familiarisation to web technologies.

Every now and then I do use dreamweaver to upload, remove, or modify contents on our itnranet. This was created by some compnay but I maintain it. And I don't have prior experience or certification in dreamweaver or asp but common sense and time I take to do this woudl at the end of the day pay offs.

Ok hope this helps you.

Cheers,
IT

lolkaykay

It depends what direction you want to go in web design/development. Some web designers are just UI designers with very limited development skills, or just front-end development skills (HTML, CSS, JavaScript). I seems like you have already dabbled in a few programming languages so just keep practicing until you're a pro. Also, remember to keep a focus and try not to be the master of all trades - you probably will just be decent at all the languages but not an expert in any one of them. Try to excel at a few and know others.