What's your eccentricity?

Vaelor

Hey guys, tell me, when it comes to your online business, what are some of your little eccentricities or strange routines/habits/methods/perspectives you have?

One of my unexplainable little quirks is that I can't stand buying from companies with ridiculous names. Of course, what's ridiculous is relative really, but the best example I can think of off the top of my head is GoDaddy, the domain registrar. The second thing I heard about them when they first showed up on the scene was that they had ten dollar domains, which is five bucks cheaper than my registrar of choice, DirectNIC. The first thing was that they have a really stupid name. I mean, what kind of business name is "GoDaddy"?! I just don't get it. And even though in some (other) cases, it might not be a smart business choice to overlook a company based solely on its name, sometimes I do find myself deliberately refusing to consider a company if it has an outrageously stupid name.

(Another quick example is the Australian ISP, "Dodo". Whose bright idea was it to name an internet company - in one of the world's most volatile industries, no less - after the world's most well-known extinct creature?! I should have considered that BEFORE giving them my credit card details though, I think... live and learn!)

What are you little eccentricities when it comes to your business? Do you have little quirks like that which may not be perfectly logical, or ideal business sense, but you tend to do them anyway? Would love to hear about them! =)

suz

Umm let's see one of mine is registering great domain names and then letting them expire cause I can't think of anything to do with them :)

Vaelor

Ah, I actually do that one too... but then I tell talk myself into how great and valuable they are, and waste even more money on keeping them because I can't bring myself to let them expire.

I still have the same ten domains for sale that brought me to this very forum in the first place, advertising to find a buyer for them...

Anybody else have strange little quirks or habits that might not be great business sense, but you do them anyway?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
my quirk is spending every cent that I make straight back on the internet, hence never making a cent :p

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
suz said:
Umm let's see one of mine is registering great domain names and then letting them expire cause I can't think of anything to do with them :)
that would be me. i have registered countless domains that i thought to be rather brilliant for one reason or another and then end up letting them expire due to the simple fact that i can't figure out what to do with them. then in other cases, i am just to lazy to put in the effort. lol