What language to learn?

Private-I

I'm a telecoms engineer. I've learned Cisco and Windows Server for networking recently.

What is the most common programming language out there?

I've used C++ in college before, but is it something that will be used in networking?

AsheSkyler

Basic, Visual Basic, and C++ are the only three languages that I was told to learn when I was in college for networking. They never said why. They only language I did get to play with was SQL for database stuff. So there's four I reckon I'll recommend for networking.

If I remember right, C++ is required if you ever plan to get an A+ certification.

Private-I

thanks for the info. I think at a minimum I need to know enough to modify scripts, maybe I'll get away with not having to write them.

Celestia

Yes the C++ is a powerful language and is definitely used in the networking but at the bottom layer or interface layer ,, and you need more experience and time to reach that level. at last you will understand the strength of C and C++.

chrishirst

Staff member
Yes the C++ is a powerful language and is definitely used in the networking but at the bottom layer or interface layer ,, and you need more experience and time to reach that level. at last you will understand the strength of C and C++.

Well I can only guess that whatever you 'read' to figure that out, you need to read it again and maybe actually understand it, because you have two different concepts of "low-level" completely mixed up.

amalayer

Have you heard about this Universal Networking Language? Well,there's a thing like that. A declarative formal language specifically designed to represent semantic data extracted from natural language texts.

A simple basis for representing the most central aspects of information and meaning in a machine- and human-language-independent form.

chrishirst

Staff member
Oh! And you might have missed the fact that UNL is NOT a programming language, you may as well suggested that the TS learn Esperanto.

Edge

c#

If I was setting out on a programming career on the web then .NET pays the best at the moment. Working backwards you'd need either c# or VB for that.

Private-I

I think I'll probably try and learn C++ again, I have done it in high school and university briefly. Has it changed much?

What about java? I keep on seeing their advert "1 billion devices run java" every time it updates on my PC.