What is SEO and help in setting up a website?

kpxada

I am looking to set up a website for a new business that I am just starting and although I am familiar with the pc and the internet, I am struggling to find out what SEO is. Also, as costs are limited, can I do it myself?

andrewjhonson

importance of SEO

SEO or search engine optimization is process that helps you to increase the visibility of your website over search engines. As you are new in the field of SEO, it would not be advised that you do it yourself. I would recommend you to read some blogs and participate in forums before starting work on your own website. You can also hire a freelancer, who can assist you with the basic details.

mrandrei

Yes, you can do SEO yourself. It's easy to understand and you don't have to pay for anything.

SEO consists of onpage and offpage optimization. You need to make SEO-friendly metatags, keywords, unique content, then build links for your site to improve its ranking. Linkbuilding methods include forum posting, article submission, etc.

bailey.rein

I am looking to set up a website for a new business that I am just starting and although I am familiar with the pc and the internet, I am struggling to find out what SEO is.

SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is what we call the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic of a website on search engines via organic or natural search results for targeted keywords.

rwebber77

Also, as costs are limited, can I do it myself?

SEO can be a frustrating road. Just realize when you start that good rankings don't happen overnight. It can take a long time to build enough quality backlinks. Also, I read in an article that search engines now penalize your ranking if you acquire a lot of backlinks too quickly. Can anyone confirm this or is it rumor?

TinaJoe

Search Engine Optimization is the method of analyzing and constructing individual web pages, as well as entire sites, so that they can be discovered, analyzed, and finally indexed by different search engines. SEO can make the content of your web pages more relevant, more attractive, and more easily found by searchengines with their crawling and indexing softwares. It is the best shortcut to your company's success.

ishie

SEO is a site promotion and marketing strategy. What's good about it is that it has the capacity to reach a wide array of users or consumers worldwide. Doing SEO means conquering the world!

shawn

Remember these things:

On-Page Optimization - it deals with the proper use of title tags, description, meta tags, keywords, robots.txt, alt attributes, sitemap and h1/h2 tags (heading tags).

Off-Page Optimization - it deals with creating inbound links. Article and directory submission, press release, online groups, social bookmarking and networking, hub page and link wheel are just some of the strategies that falls under Off-Page.

orangecopper

am finding it difficult to explain your questions in one reply.
it does not happen over a week or a day. Spend lot of time browsing the web to learn more about SEO and webdesigning. Give yourself a target of 2 -3 months and learn more on the topics and then start off..

any point you have a doubt , post it here.
cheers
Josh

StudioMelbourne

Everyone seems to have answered your origional question as to "what is seo?" I will now say that seeing as your new to seo not to mention web design and development, that it would probably be money well spent in the hands of a professional.

shop around acquire a few quotes, see whos reasonable and above all speaks to you professionally.

Again, seo is not that hard to achieve, but all things considered in your position, i cant see you developing a professional site ranking well organically in google.

Last edited by a moderator:

hankyjohn

Two phases of SEO

SEO is a two phase process:

Phase 1: Onsite Optimization, it includes keyword analysis, title tag optimization, meta keyword and description, content optimization, anchor, h1 tags, alt tag, sitemap, w3 validation etc

Phase 2: Off Page Optimization: it includes press releases, article submission, social bookmarking, link building etc

You can do everything yourself but you will have to do some reading on all of the above topics. While it can be rewarding if done correctly, it can also black list your website in search engines if you try to use unethical ways of optimizing and promoting your website