What can be done to improve?

Kass

I'm fairly new to webdesign. I've made maybe 6 or 7 sites, used Wordpress a bit too. I'm really good at graphic design, but its not carrying over completely to web design.

I'm doing a few sites for free to build my portfolio. I need help taking this site the extra step to 'professional' quality... I know there is something missing that would make it better, but I can't pinpoint it.

If you were designing the site, what would you add or change to make it look more complete and professional.

http://i56.tinypic.com/fbdbeo.jpg

Thankyou for the help :)

notarypublic

Two (well three) things that I noticed, that you could try tweaking - Try making the header the same width of column as the Bio information below it. In general it seems to be easier to read text on computers in shorter columns.

Your background is a lot more vivid and engaging than the content module/div, which is a good thing - you don't want your text to blend into the background. That said, it can sometimes cause the content to look like it is sitting underneath the background. Try adding a drop shadow to the content div to float it back to the top.

Third, don't do things for free. ;)

Kass

Thanks notarypublic,

I like your suggestion of changing the header to the same size as the bio information.
And I see what you mean, the content does seem a little sunken in now.
Is there a way to add a dropshadow to a div with css?

Finally, i really don't have a portfolio right now, so I wouldn't be able to get much paid work. The websites I've done in the past have been spread out over time, and don't really reflect what I know now. Plus its for a friend, so I don't mind.

Besides the things you mentioned, do you believe this is a quality site that you would not be afraid to charge for?

I'm in the same position as you actually. I'm a University student, and did these websites on the side. Then realized it was something I was enjoying more than my current major. Sticking with my major anyways because its computer science, so its relevant to web development on some level. Now I'm starting a freelance business this summer, hence the need for a portfolio. It's also why I am a little unsure of my work, because I haven't charged more than $200 before.

notarypublic

I'd just be curious to see what your other work is. I can show you the first site that I was paid for, and it was awful. You can send me a PM if you'd like.

Drop shadow is a CSS property that is supported by modern browsers, or else if you make a transparent .png image of a gradient, you can achieve a similar effect.

Just start pouring through tutorials and see what seems practical. The benefit of web design is that with how quickly technology is changing, you're not far behind the curve. The curse is that you have to work at it to stay ahead, once you get there.

Kass

I'd just be curious to see what your other work is. I can show you the first site that I was paid for, and it was awful. You can send me a PM if you'd like.

Drop shadow is a CSS property that is supported by modern browsers, or else if you make a transparent .png image of a gradient, you can achieve a similar effect.

Just start pouring through tutorials and see what seems practical. The benefit of web design is that with how quickly technology is changing, you're not far behind the curve. The curse is that you have to work at it to stay ahead, once you get there.

Hi Notary, shortly after responding I did find box-shadow, which is nice, i just didnt add the webkit prefix before when I was testing it.

I already read a long of ebooks (like from smashing magazine for example), and visit sites like netuts+, and enjoy the work so Ill stick with it one way or another.

I'll shoot you a PM with some of my other work.

krymson

just to show you the first "site" i was paid for, and this is almost every web designer when they start off because you gain more knowledge with each project. check out my first paid site... www.jadpalacehumble.com ... the more i look at it the more i want to contact this old client and ask if i can redesign his website for free just so i can put it in my portfolio and this was only 2 years ago.

Kass

Since you guys are freelancing, and I have yet to start, I'd just like to ask.
Is the website I mentioned above high enough quality to charge for?

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL. You want to know how my first paid site went? The client designed it for me, I just coded it. I still like to look back and laugh at that. I learned a lot of good things about working with clients from her, and she keeps coming back for updates. In fact, I better get to work on the changes waiting in my inbox.

Kass, the majority of designs are good enough to charge for, the question is how much. You have to ask yourself, how much is that design worth to you? If that's too subjective for you, assign a value to a given block of time and multiply that by how long it took you to finish your design.

Last edited:

Kass

I had to go free to get work for my portfolio. Which I accept. Assuming my work is good, I can now charge what a run-of-the-mill freelancer might, rather then charging less because I was still building a portfolio. It will also help me get clients, since I will have a good sized portfolio.

I also don't want to be doing sites for chump change, I want to make this a full time job. So starting with sites that are only $100 or $200 isn't an option.