What are the differences between web design and graphic design and which career shoul

Cynthia

The two I'm mainly considering are web design and graphic design. I personally would prefer being in graphic design, but I hear that the income isn't that great, and I'm not that creative or decisive, so I'm leaning towards web design. I'm just not that sure, though.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't base your decision on potential income. Choose which ever you feel most comfortable with and go form there. Likely hood is that neither will make you rich. But you are more likely to be successful doing what you are passionate about.

Web Design has become a very broad term over the years and in my personal opinion it is commonly misused. But I guess that is neither here or there.

Web Designers are supposed to be the artists of the web. They specialize in HTML, CSS and Javascript, while also having very strong graphical skills. Web Developers on the other hand are the engineers of the web. They specialize in a variety of server side scripting languages, Database Design and commonly have at least basic knowledge of server administration. Many of us have evolved to what I would call a Web Professional. Merging elements of both these careers into one.

Graphic Artists, or Designers on the other hand have a much more defined set of skills, and commonly deal primarily in print media. Graphic Artists should not be mistaken for Animators.

The big difference being that Web people wear multiple hats on a daily basis, while Graphics people do what they do... graphics.

Last edited:

rwebber77

Web Professional, I like it! Personally, I would rather do back end programming but I feel I need to continue learning front end thoroughly as well.

If you are concerned about income and making the right decisions, let me try to put it into perspective. Good graphic designers can make a lot of money, but once the project is printed it's on printed. Web design opens a door and you will probably never come close to tapping into it's full potential because there is so much to cover. Plus, changes can be made in a heartbeat on the web.

orangecopper

Do go behind income and change what you are good at or like best.
I would not agree if you say graphic designers are paid less.. infact qualty graphic designers are gems in the industry !

So do what you do the best ! and sucess will follow.
Like how Brucelee said " i fear a man who can do one kick perfectly more than a person who knows 1000 kicks "

hehe :)
cheers, all thebest
josh