Website Feedback ? ? ? ? ? ?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks nice and phpbb should serve you fairly well. :)

as for generating traffic... it will take lots of time, patience, luck and work. once you get some content into your forums and archives, work towards getting the site listed and spidered by google and other major search engines.

StephanieCordray

Make sure you have the latest updates for phpbb... one of our sites got DOS'ed with 250000 hits very short amount of time due to a searching out of a known vulnerability... *grin* the attack didn't accomplish its mission but it sure tried very hard.

it's a very simple fix but a very necessary one.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
The site looks pretty good, as does the logo.
I cant stress strongly enough what Stephanie just said, be sure to check the phpbb site very often, as with most software, it is very important to keep up to date with the latest version software.
As to how to generate traffic, perhaps posting at some of the bigger forums, and helping others, making sure to have a link to your forum in your signature line.

StephanieCordray

I just joined a bunch of forums... let me get settled into those first... lol... my brain capacity gets lower and lower every year older I get.

Homesmart

Hahahaha yeah i've been joining a few myself. I feel weird that I post more on others that i do on my own, (lol)

StephanieCordray

don't feel weird about it... when a board is new it's really hard to think of things to talk about to get it going. Ian is a whiz at it but he does have some very distinct personalities to help him out. Myself, I don't like running boards at all, never have, lol. I enjoy posting and talking to others through them but running one is a whole different matter altogether.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Running a forum is hard work, in my opinion, it is important to stick at it, and work away until it yields results. I am hoping to move into other areas in the not too distant future, not just forums. Actually it was suggested time and time again when I was running wmf, but it sounded like too much hard work, and it is a lot of hard work, but I am going to have a go at it nonetheless.

StephanieCordray

ian said:
Running a forum is hard work, in my opinion, it is important to stick at it, and work away until it yields results. I am hoping to move into other areas in the not too distant future, not just forums. Actually it was suggested time and time again when I was running wmf, but it sounded like too much hard work, and it is a lot of hard work, but I am going to have a go at it nonetheless.

I agree Ian. It's a lot of hard work and I just don't have the commitment to building them up like you do. But I work hard at other areas where I am committed to what I'm doing. What other areas are you hoping to move into?

Yes, I know zkiller asked the same question, lol. Maybe if enough of us ask, you'll give us a hint.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I wont say too much about it, but consider it kind of an article type blog with news type articles in each of the 5 categories of webmaster related topics that I have chosen. Would take a lot of work, so I have to research ways on how it can be done a little easier. It will be integrated with the forums.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am rather confused as to what you mean, but you know whom all would be more than willing to help out best we can. :)

ian

Administrator
Staff member
As it comes closer to fruition, I'll tell you about it first............

ISDProductions

StephanieCordray said:
Make sure you have the latest updates for phpbb... one of our sites got DOS'ed with 250000 hits very short amount of time due to a searching out of a known vulnerability... *grin* the attack didn't accomplish its mission but it sure tried very hard.

it's a very simple fix but a very necessary one.

I was just looking through some of the older post, looks like they should of taken your advise Stephanie
anyhow, not that its funny, but they got hacked

http://www.homesmartpc.com/phpbb/index.php

Looks like it was from the turkish youth