website capacity?

cj929

I’m very new to having my own website, I don’t know a lot about what happens behind the screens, servers etc but here are a few questions hope someone can give me some info. This is my website- www.onbikescotland.com

I had a website made which has several video samples (bike touring) but a person in America told me that it took him an hour to download a 11mbs clip, but on my computer and at a local internet cafe it only takes 70 seconds.

He told me i must have a very slow connection + download speed? What does this mean?

I think my site has a 50mb capacity- does the size of a site dictate how fast and how many downloads can be taken from the site simultaneously? Can i find out myself what capacity by website actually has, how much space i have- the actual instructions to do this?

Basically do you think i'm losing business because the capacity of my site is not up to the job, and are all servers the same?

Any info greatly appreciated

qadisha

Download time

Download times depend on the size of the page and, of course, on the type of connection at the visitor's end. On my 512Kb connection your site downloaded almost instantaneously (and I like it's clearcut look).

On this site (which is in French, there are probably English versions out there too) you can establish the size of your page and your Homepage is a little on the heavy size: http://www.graphitoo.com/poids_page.php

As a last word, you ought to bear in mind that quite a number of people still do not have ADSL and they say that a download time of 10 seconds or more makes people abandon the download and move on somewhere else.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
If the video downloads and plays within a reasonable timeframe on the computers you have tried, then it could be that the person who complained was on a slow dial up connection, either that or they were exaggerating perhaps.

jmad

ya was really quick download time for me too. my guess is ur friend had a slow connection speed.
ps love your bike i had a gsxr-750 till my accident. :( i wish to get a new one!

cj929

thanks for the info, i'm a alot happier now i thought there was something wrong with my site

gadisha- thanks i'm looking into that link

ian- thanks, i'm beginning to think thats the case

jmad- cheers hope you came out of it ok, i'm going for a Kawasaki ZX10(green of course) next i've heard great reports about it once i get my cq from the insurance i'm hitting the bike shops!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
both your site and your sample video clips load quickly for me. i am on a slow 1 Mbit cable connection.

the overall speed of your site is determined by a variety of factors. the space your web host allocates you is not a factor here. it merely determines the amount of files you can store on their server.

the most obvious factor as mentioned above is the potential clients internet connection speed. as most of us will recall, dial up sucked. on a 56k dial up connection 1 hour for a 11 MB download is reasonable.

here are some factors that are often overlooked and why good hosting is so important...

1. your web host's connection to a quality backbone is a very important factor. for one, it plays a large factor in your sites uptime, but also in it's overall speed. your web host has an internet connection much like you have at home, only much faster. a good web host should have multiple industrial grade lines to a variety of backbones ensuring that they have the bandwidth to support their customers needs. bandwidth = the amount of data that can be sent simultaneously. transfer = the amount of data that can be sent over a pre-defined amount of time, most commonly a month.

2. server load. most of us are on shared hosting accounts. this means that the server your web site is on is also home to x number of other web sites. if their are to many sites on one server or maybe just a couple that either have large amounts of traffic or require to much cpu power to process their scripts, then it is highly probable that your site, as well as all the others on that server, will suffer performance decreases.

this is part of the reason why i don't believe in 5 dollar hosting, although it is no guarantee you won't find similar issues with more expensive service providers.

PS: i agree with jmad, nice bike you got their. i have always liked the fireblades. i like your idea of selling dvd's of your riding seasons. maybe i should do something simular for our track days and race weekends. i presently ride a aprilia rs 250. i'd like to get a gsx-r 600 for a daily, if i could afford two that is. :)

Last edited:

cj929

thanks zKiller,

great info there going to look into what you said.

You should try the same concept maybe show people the tracks on a website so they know what to expect before they go- the right lines etc

Fantastic bike by the way rs250 it would leave a Fireblade behind around the twisties!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks zKiller,

great info there going to look into what you said.

You should try the same concept maybe show people the tracks on a website so they know what to expect before they go- the right lines etc

Fantastic bike by the way rs250 it would leave a Fireblade behind around the twisties!
i might have to give that a shot. still looking for a good track day camera that can be mounted on various locations on the bikes. mounting a minidv cam on the tank would only get into the way.

and yes, the RS is a monster in the twisties! :D you would leave be behind much like stoner's ducati left rossi's yamaha in the straights though.

jmad

i came away with only a extrem dislocation of my ancle but that was a year ago so i am pretty much all better. :)

jmad

ya i got broad sided by a car while on my bike he hit my foot n wraped it under my bike i got up in the middle of the road n saw the bottom of my foot while standing with my leg strait then i hobbled to the side of the road. helmet never touched the pavement. then they took my bike said it was totaled doesn't take much. :( ! other guy ran a stop sign. i had a cast for three months. so now all i got is my crusier its a shadow(1100 first bike!) but its got a sweet paint job.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
that sucks man! glad you are alright.

i think i am the only guy on the face of the planet that high sided on a pocket bike. lol. the chain came off going around a corner and got stuck in the wheel looking it up. the rear kicked out and up and over i went tumbling down the road with the bike bouncing off of me a couple of times. ripped through my leather gloves, got a bit of road rash on my forearm and broke my wrist. luckily my head never touched ground either. would have been a stupid way to ruin my shoei. i didn't even realize i had really hurt my wrist until about 4 hours later when the pain kicked in.

jmad

wow i cant believe u high sided a pocket rocket! so is ur wrist still messed up? how fast were u goin?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i had the throttle pinned, so i am gonna take a wild guess and say around 50 km/h. my wrist still hurts from time to time. it grew back all messed up. it's not that bad though.