Webpage instead of the desktop?

flatL1NE

I own a Internet cafe, and I use CafeSuite for managing customers, payments etc. (for more info check out the their site, you'll get the idea in no time).

Reason I mention CafeSuite is because there is an option on the main CafeSuite computer to put a webpage that will be over all CafeClient desktops instead of the WinXP desktop, meaning the taskbar won't be visible as well (webpage will completely cover everything). So basically making a webpage run 'instead' of my client WinXP desktops is not a problem, but I can't get the links to open the local files on client computers. I don't need links to point to files across the intranet or internet, just local files on each client. For example, when clicking on the Windows Live link, I would need it to open WinLive without prompting the Open/Save dialog from the default browser (I use Mozilla, my customers generally spit on IE).

I thought about Active Desktop, but read that it sucks. Now, generally I don't know shizz about AD or whether or not it has anything to do with making my page run local files (because I can get my CafeSuite to run the webpage on my client computers in a mouse-click without activating the Active Desktop).

However, I'd take any advice into consideration as long as it allows me to design a bad a** looking web page with links that will simply open local files just as the Win *.lnk icons do.

Thanks in advance

bcee

Have you tried using the WinLive link in IE? I'm thinking IE has a default handler for this type but anything else will not.

Internet cafe user's spitting on IE? I like it :)

flatL1NE

Lol, yeah "spitting". Everyone uses Mozilla.

Anyway, I figured how to get them links to run. When I put a web-page with links to apps/games on my client desktops Mozilla (if it's the default browser) will prompt the Save/Cancel dialog when I click on any of the links that lead to an *.exe file.
But if I put Internet Explorer as the default browser, I will get the Open/Save/Cancel/More info dialog when clicking on any of the links (on the web-page that covers the CafeClient desktops) that lead to an *.exe file. Further, I can simply put a Mozilla link on web-pages on all client PCs, and simply uncheck the "Check if Mozilla is the default browser on start" box. That way users will run and use the link on my client web-page to run Mozilla normally, BUT the IE 'shell' will pop up its' Open/Save/Cancel box when customers run apps/games.
However, the final problem I have is to disable the Save button on the IE's Open/Save/Cancel dialog box that pops up when a link (leading to an *.exe file) is clicked, so that users can simply click Open and start w/e they wanted, or click Cancel. So solutions like 'graying' out the Save button, or disabling file saving in IE (so that when Save is clicked, there's a message like "This option is disabled by the administrator" or something similar), or to completely have it thrown out of the Open/Save/Cancel dialog box and instead just have Open/Cancel in it would be best (not sure if the latter, or any of these is possible). Any similar solution would also be great tbh.
So still waiting for some advice, thanks for the answer.

Last edited: