WebDesignForum.com

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well some things this site needs, a logo for one, as well as proper forum old and forum new buttons to reflect the new and old posts. Perhaps that may be the next forum competition.

Chroder

I think you need to get away from the default vB look! Just save your AdSense check and get a new design :p

I like the blue you've chosen though.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
The default vb looks has one benefit in that it is easy to update and I want updates to be as hassle free as possible. Plus I like the way the post spans the entire width of the page.
Well this forum was always going to be light blue. I initially had it a much lighter shade of blue, but I changed it to this darker shade of blue, the other light blue looked too lame.

Chroder

Pfft, easy to update. Updating is a sinch. I used to think it'd be hard, but even dramatically updating the style (like the Webmaster-Talk I did), most templates are still default.

vB uses a kind of 'fall through' template system. Say the forum looks for a template 'postbit', if it's been edited in the current style then it is returned, if not it returns the default (or parent) styles tempalte. You can think of a child template being on the first layer, and when the big vB "hand" comes down to grab a template, if it isn't there then it just goes down to the next "layer":

Code:
Layer 1: Custom, Layer 2: Default
Layer1:  --------  postbit  ----------
Later2:  FORUMOME  postbit  SHOWTHREAD
So the system see's no updated template in Custom, so it "goes through" and fetches the Default (parent) template.

Anyway, you probably already knew that but my point is, when you upgrade the default vB style is updated and thus, so is the majority of your style. You then just have to go into the thread at vb.com and search for updates to a template that _is_ edited, the most I've had to do with the DevBox style is update the 'logout' link to put in the userid.

So I think it's worth it, if you didn't get that message out of my babble :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I did have an inclination as to how it worked, and how not all updates required custom modifications to the template, but nowhere near the level to which you explained. Gee you really know your vb stuff.
Actually long term, I will probably go with something similar to the style at devbox, that is main page with side column, but thread summary and actual post pages without the side column.

Chroder

Thread summary would be a summary of a thread (read: singular). "Forum summary" would be better fit IMO.

AainaA

Ian will you be selling WDF as you did WMF? Why not stick to it, and let it be a portal where web designers come for answers... tips, tricks and fun?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
No I have no plans to sell this site at all. It is an important site of a strategic network.
And also I have a plan to capitalize on the sites, though that is way off in the future.
Cant see that happening for some time now.
I have had quite a few offers for computerforum.com but the answer is always NO, not for sale.

AainaA

cool... in that case, I intend to frequent it... i dislike the idea of your place be "sold" with me in it :p