Web page not loading correctly

gumspitter

My web site is looks correct on most machines but not on others. I was informed today that the page loads to the right and cannot be scrolled to center. The content of the page is on the right. I tested using browser shots http://browsershots.org/

The user is using a 17" flat screen monitor. I think 1152 pixels wide. How can I fix this?

www.applingpiratesbaseball.com

Last edited:

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi DJM,
sorry for not getting back to you on the buttons just been real busy, that being said, I do like the changes you have made. I am not sure as to why the page loads to the right on some machines? In what browser do this happen? Off the top of my head, the only thing that would cause this, is if the negative left margin value (-480px) was somehow ignored? One change you can make is this:

Code:
OLD VERSION

div#header, div#mid, div#footer {
left:50%;
margin:0 0 0 -480px;
overflow:hidden;
position:relative;
width:960px;
}

ADJUSTED VERSION 

div#header, div#mid, div#footer {
margin:auto;
overflow:hidden;
position:relative;
width:960px;
}

See if that makes a difference.

orangecopper

A basic problem i observed in your codes is usage of tables, Either learn to use CSS or Use tables in a nested format.

ie, a paret table with width 100% ( not pixels ) and padding and spacing =0
Inside that build your other tables and align each of them.

If its in percentage it would not screw up your site if resolution changes.
Bonus tip: there is a Browser compatibilty tester in dream weaver use that and fix errors on IE 7

cheers
All the very best !
Joshu Thomas

Cynthia

try using another browser like firefox and if you are see if your missing flash or any of the software that a site is running

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
I must confess, the usage of the negative margin value confuses me. PixelPusher's revision should provide a quick fix.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
I must confess, the usage of the negative margin value confuses me. PixelPusher's revision should provide a quick fix.

Why does it confuse you? All you are doing is moving the left edge in the opposite direction. Admitted I rarely use them, mostly in centering situations like with gumspitter's site. Both methods I listed work, guess its just a matter of preference.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do understand what it does, but I don't understand why one would go about doing it that way. Just didn't seem logical to me. Meant no harm by it.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey no worries Z, no offense taken. Just wondered why it confused you. I do try avoid negative values on anything as they can usually be solved in a different manner. Nevertheless, both ways work effectively. Negatives help when you start introducing percentages (at least in my experience)