Web designers link to your site - free advertising

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Mgirl, Jun 15, 2007.

to remove all ads.
  1. Mgirl

Mgirl New Member

Hi there,

I have noticed, on may occasions, that web designers put their logo and a link to their site down the bottom of their clients websites. This seems like free advertising to me...

What is the protocol here? Shouldn't they pay to have a link to their site? It seems bit cheeky to me.

Can you as them to have that link removed?

I don't feel comfortable having people link to my site, especially when it's not paid for.

Mgirl

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. zkiller

zkiller Super Moderator Staff Member

of course you can ask to have the link removed.

whether the designer will remove it or allow you to remove it depends on what the terms of the contract you signed say.

3. Mgirl

Mgirl New Member

Thanks

Ahh, thanks zkiller. I don't recall there being anything in the contract about them linking to my site - will re-read today..

Is this linking done often?

Mgirl

4. zkiller

zkiller Super Moderator Staff Member

it's pretty common to do so. usually it's just a basic text link at the bottom along with the copyright notice, which goes more or less un-noticed by the general web populous.

5. suz

suz New Member

I personally wouldn't ask a paying client to link to me (unless they wanted to). If I did the work for free that's a different matter but not if they are paying.

6. crandall87

crandall87 New Member

We always put our link at the bottom of our clients websites. If they want to have it removed they can but most of them are happy to have it there. If you do a good job then they are likely to tell their friends which is also free advertising.

7. bannerflash

bannerflash New Member

web design

i'm with your opinion, also the web-design company have portofolio in witch they put new links with what they done, and if they have a pretty trafic on the site, some people will visit you and become interested about your site.

8. mo.asghar

mo.asghar New Member

hi

can free webdirectory help enough

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  9. kcruss

kcruss New Member

web design

I think having a link at the bottom of a site you have built is strictly between you and your customer... Some dont mind, and some do. I'll honor both.

-Calvin
    http://www.rdstudios.us

10. UniqueCreations

UniqueCreations New Member

We are talking about a copyright correct?

I guess the first important point to bring up is who owns the site itself? You as the designer may or may not have contracted the terms. As mentioned about the contract aspect, if you clause your terms to include your clients as the sole owner of the website (website needs to be clearly defined) that you have created for them for a set price, then by all means they have the right to have the link removed.

I do think that adding the creator's name at least should suffice, a link is nice too. A banner would be overstepping your bounds.