web design???

JHolland

Hi, my name is James Holland and I am in my final year of high school and looking to become an web designer. I was woundering what level of education I would need to gain an entry level positons as a web desginer. My local community college offer an web design certifacte progam I was thinking about doing. I have taken Graphic Design I & II in high school and have expernce using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrater and currently trying to learn Flash action script.

I would also like to know the average pay of a web designer.

Thank You;)

mbarrett

With my experience in college classes, the professors only taught design driven site design.... basically put everything in photoshop, slice it up, load in Fireworks, save as an HTML page. This is the worst way to do it for every reason for cumbersome updating, little to no search engine capabilities, slow load times.

My advice is to completely understand css, javascript, php. or anyother combination of client side and server side scripting. With this understanding you can easily configure any ecommerce software that ultimately earns you more money.

I would start at w3schools.comfor CSS and know you way around all html tags. This site touches on every area of web.

As for pay, it really depends on where you are based, where your client is, and how good you are, in-house vs design firm. I recommend using Salary.com salary calculator just to get a ballpark figure of your area