Web Design/Development Degree

AD Design

I am interested in furthering my knowledge of web design and development and am considering using an online degree program. Has anyone out there gone through a degree program for web design on line and can recommend one? I am most interested in learning more about the programming aspects because I feel pretty confident in my design abilities (already have a bachelors degree in graphic design).

Any suggestions great appreciated. Thanks!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
you might find something of interest at the art institutes. www.aii.edu

there are serveral school out their offering programs in your desired direction. jump on google and some college community sites and i am sure you'll find a program that suites you. good luck.

netridge

I have also been looking for a degree in web design. I have run into some useful information, but nothing concrete or close to a web design degree.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
you probably won't find a bachelors degree that only looks at the design aspect of web development, simple because it's a very small part of developing an internet presence. you might be able to find an associates degree though. most straight up web design programs i have seen only lead to a certificate.

personally, i don't see a need for such a program. if you want to be a good web designer or developer, you need a good understanding of both aspects.

netridge

Yeah,
I have been hunting for a while.. and most of the schools that say they offer a degree in web design, actually offer a degree in visual communications or an art major and expose you to web design... or you can get a certificate.. bummer... But I will keep looking.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Associates of Specialized Technology in Web Design

i thought the art institutes had an associates in that direction. personally, i going for a much broader degree. my plan is to eventually get a bachelors in interactive media design. would really like to get into video editing/broadcasting, but if that doesn't work out, i can still go into a number of other fields with that degree. i already have an associates in web technology from a community college in clovis, new mexico and am presently enrolled in a multimedia design program from the hamburg academy for distance learning (germany). once i get that knocked out and i can somehow scrape enough cash together, i might enroll with the art institutes and get my bachelors from them.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
game design/development just like the web dev/design or broadcasting industry is a combination of various fields. personally, i would love to be tester. like in grandma's boy (the movie). now that would be the shit!!! :D

StephanieCordray

gaming? I am interested in knowing more.

I get a magazine every month called Game Development. Have been looking at the various fields in that and the schools that offer degrees in it. There's also 3d computer animation... such as they use to make a lot of those fabulous movies our kids love, :). Problem is, I don't have any good 3d programs, excepting Bryce 5. The ones most likely used are Maya, 3d Studio Max, and a couple others not so well known but the prices are way beyond my budget. I have Carrara 3d,and a couple of freebie ones but they are very limited as to what you can do with them. And I have a very old copy of 3d Max that I picked up in a yard sale... I believe it's v3.2.

Now, if you have any programming skill you could look at the 3d state game engine. It's developed under the GPU so every time they develop a new version, they put the old up for free download, VB, C++, and Delphi languages, and will send you the key for the price of registering... they need your email to send you the key. It's fairly neat to play around with. I've lost my link to the site but if you search for 3d state or Morphit, it should be fairly easy to find.

StephanieCordray

Oh yeah... Daz bought Bryce from Corel and have developing it. There is now a Bryce 6 and lots of addons... relatively inexpensive, too... so I'm going to work on getting a new version of that... I know they used it in the movie "Battlefield Earth" several years ago.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i love animation! a few years ago their was a free scaled down version of maya available directly from the developers web site. i downloaded it, but have no clue what i did with it. i also have an old version of 3ds max, but i never really liked it. i guess it's really just a matter of getting used to app though. never really had the time to mess with this stuff as much as i would have liked.

so, stephanie, are you a gamer?

StephanieCordray

No, I'm not much of a gamer except for being an avid Sims player. I like some role playing games but never to the extent that I go on long binges. James is a gamer but he likes strategy games more than first person games. I do like the graphics side of it all though. Imagine getting paid to do that stuff instead of feeling guilty about playing around.

I've never worked with Maya although i have seen some neat demos from it... it looks pretty cool.

StephanieCordray

Well, in my line of work right now there's not much call for 3d animation or even 3d art with some exceptions... I always feel guilty about playing around with 3d instead of working.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ah, i see what you mean. speaking of which, how is the biz coming along?

to be perfectly honest, there are a 1000 and 1 things i would rather do than what my current profession is. just simply being in an IT field again would be a start.

StephanieCordray

The biz is alive and kicking... that's about all I can say about it in such a glutted market... which is why I was looking at expanding my knowledge in other areas. I could handle a little freelance work in 3d animation and game development if I can gain the skill sets to do so.

I enjoy my biz work, too... there's just not enough of it to keep me all that busy... so I play with 3d graphics and the Sims way too much.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol... wish i could say the same.

i bet the field is nearly as cluttered with freelancers as the web hosting market. still would be an interesting field to get into though. good luck! :)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
one more thing. i play a lot of games at fairly competitive level. i am not the best, but i can hold my own in most games. yet from day one on, i could not stand the sims. i don't know what it is, but that game just annoys the crap out of. lol