Web design, beginner, clothing line

mpossoff

Hi all with many attempts to build a website with different web solutions it was recommended that I come here for beginners help.

I have a clothing line that I want to build a site for.

I have a found a solution with a cart, http://bigcartel.com/

I just joined and this is what I have so far, not much at all.

http://yahsome.bigcartel.com/

After extensive discussion in an SEO forum about a site I thought was good it was advised that I go with big cartel because of much more freedom. The problem with big cartel is to build a site that is search engine friendly you have to know html or css. I don't but willing to learn.

I'd like to get a site presence on the web as fast as I can and this is a question that I asked;

Thanks I would like to learn to build my own site. But I would like to get something out there quickly.

Now some questions and/or concerns related to getting a presence sooner than later;

if I start to build my own site via big cartel what is the minimum requirements so to speak for a basic website in regards to not hurting myself in regards to seo? I've read that you can actually 'shoot yourself in the foot' if your site doesn't meet some kind of basics minimums benchmarks in regards to web presence, seo and the like. Is this true?

If the above is true and I shouldn't 'launch' the site until the basics are down pat, can I use the likes of facebook, myspace in the meantime to get my products out there to make sales? Or any other means to start doing until these basics are 100% or close?

A response was;

Well the first rule in SEO is, 'Content Is King', so make sure you have some quality, useful and unique content.

There is no rule on how many pages a site should have, but never put up a page that is 'under construction'.

Also you need to understand some basic SEO tips , such as title tag & description, hyperlink text or image alt attributes, proper use of headings and well written copy text to name a few.

Someone else will have to advise you on social media as it is something I don't do, it's a personal thing, so not SEO advice.

So this is where I stand right now.

Is the following as suggested true and if so how and where do I begin?

1- the first rule in SEO is, 'Content Is King', so make sure you have some quality, useful and unique content.

2- Also you need to understand some basic SEO tips , such as title tag & description, hyperlink text or image alt attributes, proper use of headings and well written copy text to name a few.

I would like to get a basic minimum site 'launched' that would have the minimum requirements so to speak without 'shooting myself in the foot' and then I can add other important stuff.

Appreciate your help.

God Bless!

Marc

craftygeek

yep that makes sense - content is important...& it needs it be unique - don't copy product descriptions from manufacturers as lots of other people will have done the same.

The page construction - yes every little bit helps...so getting it all right takes some knowledge & in reality, some experience.

Having said that though, there is nothing wrong with getting a site online, then tweaking it over time - that is normal. As long as the initial build is ok, it can be added to & tweaked as you learn more.

What doesn't seem to have been mentioned is the importance of relevant inbound links to your website...this is an important factor, particularly with Google - the text in the link is also important further enforcing your chosen search keywords.

The social networking side of this can help to boost the links nicely - but thats another topic entirely!

emilyl

The tips you were talking about are accurate. This needs onpage seo first. The good metatag and title description are the basic things. Later you can concentrate on link building.