Web Browser our nightmare

How long it takes to fit all browser requirements?

• 10 Hours

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 20 Hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • less than 2 hours

• More than 2o hours

• Total voters

rickabiz

How stupid are we really as web users or professionals?

First of all I apologize for my rudimentary English since my native language is Portuguese but I think you will understand the meaning of what I’m trying to say…

Internet is the strongest media, everybody knows that, but it seems that the people, who build the Internet attractions everyday as the director of the show, always get neglected.

The web designers and developers work every day building new websites and publishing them into the web but the nightmare still exists since the web browsers simply neglected our existence.

It doesn’t matter if you work by hour or a fixed price we are always with the same dilemma. “Make our work run properly in 6 or 7 different browsers” The nightmare becomes bigger when the massive amount users are Windows users – IE6 & IE7 always requires a hack and different CSS to run the applications we build. Firefox is no different and the cost of labor and hours of working runs under something that should work by our side, but it doesn’t.
If we go over JavaScript… my god the nightmare simply gets bigger

The existence of W3C seems to be just for “hmm” …. I don’t know for what… because the browser developers do not recognize a pattern or standards. In this race of who‘s better .the web designers seem to be a sidewalk where they simply walk over us.

Like a religion, when Windows shared the first windows version they were absolutely right… Fish as many users as you can and then they will do whatever we want… A kind of massive suicide I guess…
In time when I need to run windows I spend more time with updates than working… helpfully I have changed to a Mac many years ago but I always have to visit the hell because of my work.

The nightmare doesn’t end with browsers, like a virus it goes thru software that should help as well, and it doesn’t. Try to use spry on Dreamweaver or publish a simple flash movie in a page that uses a drop menu and Voile… Someone has to input a code or settings when publishing to save the work otherwise the menu runs behind the movie…

The list is too long but to me it doesn’t seem like their fault since they have the same problem… Build an application that will run in a browser the question is which one?.

I’ve seen pages and more pages, that means it’s time to help each other find a solution for this or that problem, on the opposite hand, we should pressure the “Devils” to adopt a world pattern or a standard format that makes all work the same and concentrate their energy on making things really different. In time, let us do the same; spend more time on projects and functionalities to our customers… Yes because I have spent 40% of my time working to fix the browsers problems not on my customers needs.

I don’t know about you or your company but today I need more experts to manage all requirements now than in the past, and of course the cost of labor and the cost to my clients are getting higher… It doesn’t mean that I’m more profitable now, in fact it’s the opposite, the projects in some cases are simple not profitable.

Maybe your telling yourself … what is it all about, look to your own life and see how much money you spend every day just because the same scroll doesn’t fit in your car or furniture or you need a different bag for your vacuum cleaner… Come on it’s just a scroll or a bag… Yes but I have to go to Chrysler or any Home Depot to buy a specific one because it must be different.

Oh… very important, on the other side there is the user… They just want to access something and when they do that they expect for it to work. They don’t know about browsers – What is a browser? They say - Oh Explorer they say – No the windows Explorer, the browser – What? They are not the same? No that one you use to access Internet – Oh OK!

This nightmare must end one day but I think it won’t until we take action and change the scenario. We, customers and user’s are the hostage of manufactures but the power was always in our hands… just an action is enough – Simple DON’T BUY – DON’T USE and say in a loud voice – PLEASE MAKE THE CHANGES NECESSARY FOR ME AND IT WILL BE A PLEASURE TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY IN RETURN.

Sincerely,
Ricardo Abiz

rickabiz

Thanks for give your opinion...Yes, maybe I'm babbling... Browsers incompatibility is like old Mac... loosing market, creating troubles... since Apple changed the Apple market share start grow fast and many companies was able to develop products for run in both operational systems... Good for consumers, good for developers.

wetgravy

you can't compare mac to a browser. equipment gets obsolete so people will stop using it over time ... only people i know who still have old macs ... are maniacs at best, but mostly complete nut jobs who like mental pain and anguish. Software on the otherhand is something else entirely. there will always be old software floating in peoples hands, there are even sites just for old versions of software since people are reluctant to upgrade software for the newer better scripting. as for forcing companies to get more compatible browsers ... just go with firefox. It will save you time and energy.