Web address problems

johnojnr

Hi Everyone,

Had a good look through before posting this, and wasn't able to find me answer.

Here is my problem.

I create and upload my website using iweb, and I have purchased my domain name and dns hosting through crazy domains. Currently my iweb address is www.me.com......../news etc.

I web forward the domain name I purchased to the iweb address currently.

I would like to know how I can configure it so that instead of web.me.com/site/news it just says www.url.com/news (as an example). I have called crazy domains for assistance but they have no clue!

Is it something to do with cloaking? I tried that but the domain name didnt change for any page.

Hope you can help! :)

springmedia

Hi there,

There are a couple of options; first do you have a hosting package on your newly purchased domain? If so just upload to the new hosting package.

If not,

I am not sure if you have setup a website redirect, might be worth just looking through the control panel again? Normally you have a few options

Do you have access to DNS management? If you want to get around this problem you could create a CNAME record which will take you direct to the correct page.

Any questions just ask.

springmedia

Yeah, do you know the difference between an "A record" and a "CNAME"?

A records point to the IP address of the hosting server if you wish to use an A record for that.

CNAME can be used to re-map to another friendly URL.

so if you are not using an A-record on your primary domain, create a CNAME with no sub domain value and point it to the friendly url you wish to have.

Hope this helps.