Visited link - graphic changing?

Bodgerbaz

Hi guys,

I'm building a web site for a client who insists on using a specific font for navigation purposes and he wants it to change colour when users have visited the link.

The font would not necessarily be installed on a viewers PC and I'm stumped :eek:

I could make each link a .gif on a transparent background but it won't change colour once visited. I thought about having two .gifs for each link (one black, one grey) but don't know how to make it work.

I don't understand CSS and are using a package to design the web side as opposed to writing it all out long hand in HTML.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get over this problem?

Many thanks in anticipation ;)

rarepearldesign

Now that's a messed up problem. Using images for text is gross all around, and I don't think you can link an external font reference, so I suggest communicating with him what the issue is.

CSS3 -> font:url() will be your friend

wetgravy

the issue with using custom fonts in your websites is that no one will have all of them. if it is just for his links (like nav bars and headers) then use an image ... i have seen worse. if he wants the entire site using that font ... good luck ... you have 3 options. 1. tell him that its not possible, and he has to give up some control on this for the sake of his users. 2. tell him that you will have to make an ugly splash page informing customers that to view the page correctly they have to download a special font (i hope it's free btw ... cause no one will buy fonts just to view a website) or 3. you will need to have a giant flash site, that has the font embeded into the flash script.

jnjc

Easy, make two .gifs for each link and then in your style sheet use :visited to set the image for visited links:

#link1 {
background-image: url("1.gif");
}

#link1:visited {
background-image:url("2.gif");
}

Then your link

<a id="link1" ......

HTH,
JC

Bodgerbaz

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Its only the navigation that he wants to use the specific font for (which needs to be purchased!!).

Thanks for the CSS script example, much appreciated. I'll need to get hold of an "idiot's guide to CSS" as I've never used it and don't understand it.

He won't shift on the specific font so me thinks I need to get to the bookshop :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the advice

RAJO

In HTML4, the <font> tag was deprecated by the W3C. It is still used by some Web designers today, so the tag isn’t totally obsolete yet, but replacing all <font> tags with CSS will keep your files lean, clean, and mean!

CSS font properties are very popular styles used in web design; they are simple to implement, but the outcome is dramatic. Everyone seems to love font changes on a web page. It adds a creative flair to a page without adding much trouble and file weight, like the <font> tag can do.

Bodgerbaz

Er . . . thank you for that. You guys all seem to write web sites in long hand whereas I use wysiwyg and all this stuff happends in the background.

It must be kewl to be able to code stuff yourselves.

LouTheDesigner

Er . . . thank you for that. You guys all seem to write web sites in long hand whereas I use wysiwyg and all this stuff happends in the background.

It must be kewl to be able to code stuff yourselves.

the coding is extremely simple. all you have to know is the extremely basic syntax, and then you can just use references to find out which tags to use. that's what I did when I was 13, about 9 years ago.

I prefer WYSIWYG editors (Dreamweaver) though. It's much more efficient. Even if you prefer to just do the coding, which is still done by a surprising amount of professionals, you should still do the coding within Dreamweaver, since it will help keep your files soooooo organized.

-Louis