Viewing Websites on different screens...

rka81

Hi,

I have just designed a website on my TFT at home and it looks fine but when i view this on a standard 1024x768 monitor the site is, well massive, as in i have to scroll down and across.....its like doubled in size (slight exaggeration!!).

Anyway, I was wondering what the best way to try and make my site look tidy on any screen/monitor that it is viewed on......is there a way? Its not a huge deal but i know its something that will start to irritate me so if any of you guys understand what i am going on about and know a way to get round this please can you let me know.....

thanks

VeryConscious

Have you built it using CSS? If so you can set the size of your divs using percentages or ems rather than pixel fixed widths. They will then resize to the size of the screen.

stuluk28

What program did you use to build the site? if it's standard html is should be to tough, a little tweak here, a little change there!

If it's a photoshoped jobby, then you'll have to either go back to the drawing board or spend some serious time tweaking it. It's best to start off with a blank page that's the smallest size it needs to be, say to fit a 800 by 600 monitor. Then work from there? Although I've got to admit, every still enforces that, but I don't personally know of anyone who runs less than 1024 by 768 on their machines!

rka81

I used a few programs - frontpage for the html side of things but the site also includes a flash photo gallery (its a photo site)...

I have only seen my site on my 17" TFT at home or a box standard monitor at work so havent much to go on really

Thanks for the responses and I think I might try tweaking it a bit - but its not something that will make me redesign the whole site again...its just a bit annoying thats all

Thanks

StephanieCordray

Check your table sizes and image sizes. It may just be tweaking if you have set images to 100% on either width or height and table cells are set to percentages or something that makes it bigger than what you want.

stuluk28

Have you got a link to an uploaded version of the site? Then we'd be able to see where little changes and tweaks could be made!

rka81

its http://WWW.OURMEMORIES.CO.UK

Someone also mentioned that at work they do not have the latest Flash to view parts of the site, so a general "Get Flash" page pops up in place of where the album should be and once this plug in is installed the album loads up but again is bigger than what it should be (the guy was on an ordinary monitor again so not sure if this is any different from what i see)

thanks

StephanieCordray

<iframe name="I1" width="1051" height="733" scrolling="no" align="middle" border="0" frameborder="0" src="index.html">

Here's your problem... your sizing is off. This is just one instance of it. Screen resolutions are typically 1024 x 768. Your height value fits but your width value is much too wide. You might want to change that to screen resolution size minus about 10 pixels for the scroll bar. Then is should fit fine, except for monitors with smaller resolutions.