User-Friendly Way to Update Site

jim_genius5

I'm looking for a user-friendly way for my clients to update their sites, even when my job designing their site is finished. My web designing knowledge is limited to HTML and CSS. I'm designing a site for a restaurant, and they will need to update their home page to add a "Featured Meal" every while. A news page and recent news section might be needed as well.

Thanks in advance.

horrorshow75

A CMS is your friend here. The backend page creation is usually very Ms Word like. You may have to offer a small amount of end user training but just add in to the price of the site.

Most CMS's now are so configurable that a site visitor would never even know it's a CMS. Not to mention plugins are very helpful when you want to add things to the site that would normally require you tinkering with some php or JS that you (not you personally :p) don't understand.

4folds

I agree you need a CMS. Try using iUpdateIt which will allow your client to update the "Featured Meal" highlight box whenever they wish. It'll also allow them to schedule changes throughout the month and have it automatically change for them. Pretty neat.

As to the news page, you could use what I just mentioned, or you could start a Blog and then have it "feed" into the website. This way the news articles would be archived and searchable within themselves. I recommend something like Blogger or Wordpress, and then using either Feedburner or Widgetbox to display them on the site.

Chrissy

Hello,

Sorry I am new here, so I am not sure if you solved this or not. But off the top of my head I was just thinking, if your client has access to the sever where their files are posted so that they may put up a file....you could just an include file, that consists of just the text your client wants to be dynamic. Then your actual page and css can handle the display format. So all your client would need to do is edit the text in the file and put it up to the server.

gwnhwyvar

Was thinking along the lines of what Chrissy said, too - only via an iframe...would just be one html page they could change and upload - but they'd have to be comfortable with uploading and I know some clients are "funny" about that, too.

Thanks for those CMS links everyone - going to check some of those out as I haven't delved into those much but it seems to be the going trend now, doesn't it?