Trying to finish a wordpress site/theme

notarypublic

I didn't want to post this wordpress site/theme I'm working on in Website Reviews, because it's not quite finished. Still, for building it from scratch I think it's pretty decent.

A friend of mine approached me with a project to put together a wordpress site for the college ministry he leads. I had been wanting to try designing a theme from the ground up, so I decided to give it a shot.

To people that have worked with wordpress in the past, how hard is it to implement a site search with google? I know there are plug-ins out there, but I haven't had a chance to dig through them and find one that tells you how to create a loop for a query like that.

The twitter feed isn't a plug-in, it's a php script i implemented from a tutorial. The only problem is that after so many requests per hour, it shuts down. I know the answer is storing the latest tweets in a cache, but not how to do that (just starting to get comfortable with PHP, but still a beginner).

I use single.php for single posts, but how do I include a link back to the query for that category of posts?

And lastly, overall it just lacks.. polish. Is the site just too flat? I'm not good with making textures, so other than resorting to drop-shadows on boxes of content I'm not sure how to fix it..

notarypublic

also, i had to store all the images in the media-uploads folder. There has to be a way to store images for the site layout in a separate images folder, but I couldn't find it. I had to use a lot more hard-coded URLs for things than I'm comfortable with..