Transferring Domain name

Kiwiberry

What's the difference between transferring your domain name to another host and pointing your DNS server to that host?

Any advantages / disadvantages?

StephanieCordray

I don't know if there is any advantage to transferring your domain name to another hosting company... that is, if you purchased the domain name from a hosting company. Transferring a domain name and changing DNS servers are two different things. If you have hosting at Company A and are planning on getting hosting at Company B, you will have to change the DNS servers or you won't have a site to show anyone. Transferring a domain name is transferring the account you used to purchase the domain name, such as an account at GoDaddy, Directnic, and various other resellers to another reseller. If you purchase the domain name through your hosting company as part of a package deal, you might have some problem transferring it or you might not. That will depend on that particular company. Long winded answer, I know but I think I covered your points and probably several you didn't ask for, lol.

Kiwiberry

I see ... I think.

So, I may or may not be able to transfer my domain name from my original hosting company to my new hosting company. Well, as I build more sites, I'm learning what I like and don't like about certain company's and I've been switching company's for domain registration and hosting. I was just worried about getting spread out, and was thinking I may be able to transfer all my domain names to one host.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
You can transfer your domain names and DNS to wherever and whatever you like as long as you have access to the domain control panels and the email address listed as the administrative contact and of course providing the domain is not expired.

SiteExpress

I have run into a few problems with some hosts keeping "Registrar Lock" on domains, and not releasing them when a person wants to transfer the domain. Personally, I think if a person wants to transfer a domain away from me, then they have the right. It is their domain.

You will have to check in your domain control panel to see if you have permission to lock or unlock the registrar.

StephanieCordray

I would suggest, since you are now knowledgable about purchasing domain names, that you separate the services. Find a domain name seller whose focus is selling domain names and use it for that purpose. Then find a hosting company instead of getting both services through the same avenue. If the hosting company is offering a free domain name, use it for something you don't care about losing should you not like the company after all. If you run into troubles transferring it later, you haven't lost anything you can't do without. It's vital if you are building a business and reputation on a domain name that you are able to keep it and manage it yourself.