Total beginner - Need a start!

drsteadman

Hello guys,

The title says it all - I'm reasonably computer literate but I have no real knowledge of where to go to start building a website - can someone advise me of what package would be a good start for someone wanting to learn and build simple websites?

Thanks V. Much,

Dr.S.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any web design software already on your computer? Microsoft Office packages normally come bundled with Frontpage which is not bad if you are starting off.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Also some magazines come with full working versions of web editing software, they are usually the older versions of the software, but they still do the job.

If you really don't know where to start and need a professional looking website managed by qualified web developers, why not have a look at TemplateCake.com.

We have hundreds of templates to choose from and it costs only £300+VAT to get it managed.

Thanks.

kiko_friendly

There are so many options! Some sites like Geocities and Freewebs come with templates and will code it for you.

Personally, this isn't something I like. The layout can be boring and not unique at all. So from the age of 12, I started learning HTML and CSS code. It started out with the basics and worked up to things like frames, scrollbars and div blogs. There are so many more things that I still need to learn.

I would reccomend that you use a website like Freewebs or Geocities to build a website. If you want to learn HTML, I reccomend you use Lissaexplains.com for help or you use Composer to make links, tables etc and then click on Source. Viewing the source of a webpage can also be helpful; just look through it and try and guess what code will do what to a website. I am at school and I'm supposed to be doing some work on Excel, I can't be bothered to do it though so I'm on here.

SiteExpress

If you just want to create a simple site, and need some free software, Yahoo site builder is easy to use and free to download.