themes and seo??

jaytee

Hey guys, i was wondering if free themes like "elegant themes" are responsive for seo, and if there is any downfall on using them? iam not a web designer or guru of any kind, im just wondering if an free ElegantTheme do the job successfully.

thanks

jaytee

hey phred ive been quoted around 2k for a theme from elegant themes, which i supply images, basic content etc, and the designer will implement everything, possibly around 100 products, which have few colours for each..

is that price generally justified?

thanks

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
test 'em to see if they are responsive. they'll probably say so anyway.

as for "good for seo" well it's a theme, like any theme, and like I said, it's the author's implementation that makes the difference.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
well , "elegant themes" to me brings up this

"Beautiful Premium WordPress Themes
Get 100% complete access to our entire collection of 86 themes for only $39!"

Edge

hey phred ive been quoted around 2k for a theme from elegant themes, which i supply images, basic content etc, and the designer will implement everything, possibly around 100 products, which have few colours for each..

is that price generally justified?

thanks
What you mean is the designer will buy and install the theme for you and possibly make a few customisations. As Phreadee has said, a theme costs around $40 but the real cost is the install and customisation - depends on what changes you'll want to the default theme but I'd say that 2k probably more than adequately covers the work required.

jaytee

well , "elegant themes" to me brings up this

"Beautiful Premium WordPress Themes
Get 100% complete access to our entire collection of 86 themes for only $39!"

As Edge said, they will use the template and do all the necessary work to get the site up and running with small customisation and setup 100 products etc...

Do i gain anything from getting a completely new website built and spend triple the money?

Is 2k a fair price to pay for this work?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do i gain anything from getting a completely new website built and spend triple the money?

without knowing the job or the work ethic of the dev's you're referring to I can hardly answer that question. some charge through the roof for a barely touched template, whilst others charge hardly anything at all and give you a substandard product. either way you'll be screwed so do your homework. If you are not developing the site yourself it pays to see potentials previous work.

JenniferK

My business website is built on a WordPress theme, and we do very well in terms of SEO and search rankings. I believe our developer added on a basic SEO All-in-One Pack. If you're curious, I can find out which one it is.

We've also had great results when installing WP themes for our clients and optimizing the content for them. Google loves WordPress! :D

I heard a stat at a conference recently that 15% of the world's best-ranking websites are WordPress sites.

chrishirst

Staff member
I heard a stat at a conference recently that 15% of the world's best-ranking websites are WordPress sites.

Imaginary garbage! It has NOTHING to do with a site being driven by WordPress. Anybody can prove ANYTHING with random statistics and/or percentages created out of thin air.

First of all Search enginge do NOT rank 'sites', they rank URLs.

Secondly; it depends TOTALLY on what anyone searches for.

The things I predominantly research using search engines, brings up StackOverflow URLs 75% of the time so from that I can deduce that more than 50% of the 'best ranking sites' are ccWiki, (which is what 'powers' the site at StackOverflow).

Wordpress powered sites appear in results more often, simply because it is THE most commonly used CMS, NOT because it has some magical power for "SEO" which is what that 'statistic' is meant to have you believe.

The old advice of "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" should be rewritten to be "Beware of SEO 'experts' quoting statistics"

JenniferK

It wasn't my statistic - just one that I heard.

But it stands that my own WordPress business site and many that we have set up for clients are doing very well in terms of search rankings :)

Edge

There's nothing special about Wordpress in terms of Google - it's just the most popular publishing platform on the web so stands to sense you're going to see its websites featuring in search results. Google doesn't love Wordpress - it loves unique, engaging content that loads quick and there's hundreds of CMS's you can use to deliver that.

chrishirst

Staff member
It wasn't my statistic - just one that I heard
Yeah it's a bit "It must be frue 'cos I read it on the Internet." kind of facts.

People and "experts" make things up all the time to prove they know what they are doing, you only need to read a few "SEOMoz" pseudo scientific 'article' to figure that out.

But it stands that my own WordPress business site and many that we have set up for clients are doing very well in terms of search rankings :)
But it is NOT because it is Wordpress.

If you do a lot of "rank checking" for clients then the clients sites ARE going to show up in YOUR results, that's the way it is with "rankings", just because that is what YOU see does NOT mean anybody else does see the same results.

It's deductive reasoning, which is RARELY, if ever right. Just because you have a black cat and your neighbour also has a black cat, doesn't mean that all cats must be black.

Wordpress is just a tool, and as with all tools, HOW you use it determines how good [or bad] the results are.

Last edited: