SysAdmin Position Available

Vaelor

My company is currently seeking to fill the role of Linux System Administrator for our primary webhosting server.

Successful applicants will require an expert working knowledge of Debian Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL, Perl, and every aspect of administering and maintaining a webserving system, including DNS, POP/SMTP, etc.

Applicants must have excellent communication skills and a flawless grasp of the English language.

This is strictly a remote administration position only, and at no point will you ever be required to attend a meeting, wear a suit, speaking to anybody in person or on the telephone, or send anything via postal mail.

Please send your resumé, CV, work experience details, or even just a vague explanation of your skills and abilities, preferably with some sort of portfolio included, even if it's just the email addresses of a couple of references and a few URLs of past work you've done, whether for yourself/your own company or for a client, to Karl Lofhelm at [email protected]. Please keep attachments in Microsoft Word, PDF, or plain text formats only.

Please include your current remuneration, your expected remuneration, and then the lowest possible remuneration you'd realistically be willing to settle for. =)

For all intensive purposes this position should be considered a part time/casual contract. The successful applicant will be considered a private contractor by Fifth Dimension Computing, and will be expected to submit a periodic timesheet, after which they will be paid via their choice of direct bank deposit, wire transfer, or PayPal.

This prestigious position comes with a generous allotment of no annual leave, no Xmas bonus, no perks, no company car, no commissions, no salary incentives, no sick days, no corner office, and not much else. In fact, the only perk this position has is the casual flexibility - essentially, you will only work on the occasions that your spare time coincides with my having money available to pay you. Which might be very, very rarely...

In layman's terms - we desperately need a Linux geek to fix our f**ked server, but much like Ian's earlier post in this category, our budget is extremely tight, so once we agree on your hourly rate, I'll contact you when I have money, and tell you what I need fixed at that time. You fix it, you bill me, I pay you, and then we wait until the next time I can afford to pay you for another load of work.

Questions, concerns, enquiries, sarcastic remarks, anything else, please feel free to get a thread happening here, or email me if you'd prefer. =)

Best regards,

- Karl Lofhelm
[email protected]

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
this might be interesting for [tab]. debian is his favorite flavour as it is already anyways! :p good luck filling the position.

Vaelor

zkiller said:
this might be interesting for [tab]. debian is his favorite flavour as it is already anyways! :p good luck filling the position.

Well, being kind of new here, I don't actually know who or what a [tab] is, but if you think [tab] might be interested in picking up a little extra cash, and you happen to be speaking to [tab], could you be a sport and point [tab] in the direction of this post? Cheers. =)

Chroder

[tab] is the co-admin here. Ian says he takes care of some server stuff behind the scenes for his sites, but I'm not sure if this type of this is his cup'o tea :p

ian

Administrator
Staff member
[tab] managed my last dedicated server as a personal favour for me. I dont think he does that kind of paid work, but I will mention this thread to him.

[tab]

Opera/Firefox on Debian
Staff member
Vaelor said:
I don't actually know who or what a [tab] is
Medical science is still baffled...

I doubt I have the time (or skills) to commit to something like this at the moment, but if you have no luck finding someone else send me a PM.

You could also try advertising at Computer Forum, or Devbox Forums.

Vaelor

Hey, why didn't I get an email notification that this thread had been posted in?! >=(

[tab] said:
Medical science is still baffled...

I doubt I have the time (or skills) to commit to something like this at the moment, but if you have no luck finding someone else send me a PM.

You could also try advertising at Computer Forum, or Devbox Forums.
Well, time isn't an issue - as I mentioned, I'm pretty much dead broke, so I'll only be able to pay you for one or two hours here and there when necessity meets available cash meets your free time. My last guy used to put in like ten minutes a week or something, and since then (several months ago) I haven't been able to find ANYBODY to replace him, so even half an hour of your time, once, would be better than where I am now!

As for skills, if you can install and configure DNS, POP/SMTP, PHP, MySQL, or Perl, then I have work for you. At the moment, my server is basically a vanilla Debian Linux with Apache installed and little else. And I desperately need to set up at least the above things so I can use it as a fully functional webserver for my various sites.

(At the moment, I'm just redirecting domains at the registrar level with a frameset redirect to various subdirectories on the server due to the lack of DNS setup - ie. http://www.domainname.com/ is actually http://11.22.33.44/domainname.com/ - this is the most urgent thing I need fixed! You know how hard it is to get search engine ranked when your spidered page is a blank frameset redirect with no meta tags?! =/)

So, being that I've been unable to find anybody else for several months already prior to posting this, how long is it polite to wait before I PM you begging you to help me out here? =)

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
there are some good tutorials on how to install all of the above via telnet or ssh with root access. just search on google and you shall find. :) that's how i got my pop2 and smpt servers running back when i still have my dedicated server.

just a thought. :)

[tab]

Opera/Firefox on Debian
Staff member
If you still need the help send me a PM with the details and I'll check it out for you. Won't be able to do anything until Friday though.

Vaelor

[tab] said:
If you still need the help send me a PM with the details and I'll check it out for you. Won't be able to do anything until Friday though.
Done. And no problem whatsoever with that time frame - as I said, I've gone half a year without a sysadmin and with the server in its half installed state - a few more days will make no difference whatsoever. =)

Vaelor

zkiller said:
there are some good tutorials on how to install all of the above via telnet or ssh with root access. just search on google and you shall find. :) that's how i got my pop2 and smpt servers running back when i still have my dedicated server. just a thought. :)

Thinking about this just now, I Googled for info on installing DNS on my server. I came up with http://www.aboutdebian.com/dns.htm - looked like the best choice considering I want to install DNS on a Debian box.

Four paragraphs in, my brain aches and I think I'm going to cry. This stuff is SO way over my head it makes me want to set my computer on fire.

It will take me months to study, learn, and comprehend/understand this one document, which as I understand from my painful skim read, shouldn't actually be used as a guide to setting up a serious DNS server anyway, but only as a learning tool, due to security issues that need to be addressed.

I miss DOS so much. I used to be a great BASIC programmer when I was a kid. What happened to my brain?? It's like it went into stasis while I was a teenager and then forgot how to reactivate itself afterwards.... =~(

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's not a bad article you found there. :) if i find the time, i'll see if i can find a step by step tutorial for ya.

Vaelor

Just a short note to give this thread some closure: In the end, [tab] fixed my server up above and beyond the call and in an amazing timeframe no less, and I couldn't be happier. As for the long term, I'm looking into taking a course at the ComputerPower Institute which includes several modules on setting up and administrating a Linux webserver (and includes RHCP certification, interestingly), so if all goes well, a few years from now, "SysAdmin Position Available" is one topic I won't have to spam the webmaster boards with! =D

Now, if I could only find somebody with PHP/MySQL skills to take on all this coding work I have up for grabs... {sighs} =)

StephanieCordray

Although there aren't that many members yet it might help if you outline something of what kind of coding needs to be done... You might get some ready made stuff that can be adapted fairly easily... I would offer but php hates me... even if I follow instructions to the letter, something gets fouled up and I spend hours figuring out that the tags they used in the instructions were the wrong ones or something else just as stupid. One of these days, I'll learn it better... maybe

Vaelor

Heh yeah, I know how that can be! =)

But nah, I'm not interested in ready made work, my jobs are usually fairly specific and I always prefer to have things coded from the ground up to avoid mess and hassle, even if it does take a little longer/cost a little more...

And as for specifying the details, I actually have several different things I need coded at the moment - I'm more looking to find a good PHP/MySQL coder who's interested in picking up some ongoing work, than a contractor for a single project.

[tab] recommended I try posting on some of Ian's other, more developed forums, and I think I'll do this soon... well, at least before I resort to posting the job up on Elance. =)