Suggestion : Referral programme!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiko_friendly

I was thinking that a referral programme would be a somewhat nifty idea! Not an email referral programme, but something that allows us to put a banner of yours on our sites, that links back and if the person signs up within 30 minutes of clicking the link, a referral is counted.

Marapets.com does exactly this (see burningviolet.com in the top left corner, I have their referral banner).

I refer 1-2 people a day from that referral link there, and it would be cool to do that here.

However, as a rewards system, I think that there should just be a leader board and maybe a list with our stats by our names/locations/member rank when we post - and a gold, silver or bronze mini trophy or something.

That would be funky.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
good question/suggestion.

check the FAQ. it's a built in gadget of VBulletin. :)

http://www.webdesignforum.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_vb_referrals_explain

and here is a standard sized button you can use.

wdforum.gif

I am gonna sticky this thread. :)

kiko_friendly

That would pwn...:) I would definitely participate. :D

I had six people SIGN up at a site that I advertise on my 3 month old website, in one day. That's a record for me and I got a prize. I am happy. :)

Anyway...random. I am actually really bored so gonna make a thread about jelly...

john238

30 minutes is not that good. A cookie or some other tracking should be used so that it counts a visitor even if they sign up 30 days after clicking on your referral link.

kiko_friendly

30 days might be too long.

What if the person forgot that they visited, and coincidentally came back another time, but being referred by another person?

john238

So are you saying you prefer there to be a 30 minute cookie set rather than a 30 day cookie. If this is the case then I think you need to sit down and thing how cookies work and why it would be much better to your advantage for the program to use a 30 day cookie and if not a lifetime cookie.

With a 30 min cookie the person has to signup within 30 min's so that you get that referral, now if the person signups in 31 min's then you would have not received that referral. With a 30 day referral that means you can get that referral signup to you no matter if they signed up in 29 days time.

So in other words, if someone that went to your site and then went directly to the main site 29 days later you still should get the referral in your account.

If the visitor goes to another site and that site gets the referral then that is the risk, but there is still a chance that you will receive it with a 30 day cookie, if it's a 30 min's cookie then you have no chance of getting it at all unless they directly go to your site again and signup within the next 30 min's after clicking through to the site from yours.

Hope you understand what I am trying to explain here.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i feel like i am missing something. where did this 30 minute thing come up???

anyways, i concur with kiko. 30 days is much to long i probably set to cookie to expire in 24, possibly 48hrs. haven't really given it much thought though, being that i have never ran a referral program, nor do i intend to. *shrug*

john238

I've been doing affiliate marketing for over 7 years and most programs that I have worked with which is over 2,000 of them have a min cook set for 30 days, some have it for 120 and some use lifetime cookies.

The long, the better it would be for the affiliate, but not quite of the owner of the program, but then the affiliate made them customers go them their sites in the first place which is only fare to give them credit for it.

In affiliate marketing, if a program would have a 1 day cookie then it will most probably be 100+ more times hard to get an affiliate onboard to work with your program than one that had a 30 days cookie as most customers would not just go to the merchants site straight away and purchase their products. They normally shop around first to see the prices of other merchants and then would return to the merchants site with your cookie set, giving your credit for up to 30 days or more of that customer.

By the sounds of things, I guess the 30 min's cookie is for something that is not an affiliate program or something.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
what has a 30 minute cookie?
from an affiliate marketers perspective, longer cookies are always better.

kiko_friendly

So are you saying you prefer there to be a 30 minute cookie set rather than a 30 day cookie. If this is the case then I think you need to sit down and thing how cookies work and why it would be much better to your advantage for the program to use a 30 day cookie and if not a lifetime cookie.

With a 30 min cookie the person has to signup within 30 min's so that you get that referral, now if the person signups in 31 min's then you would have not received that referral. With a 30 day referral that means you can get that referral signup to you no matter if they signed up in 29 days time.

So in other words, if someone that went to your site and then went directly to the main site 29 days later you still should get the referral in your account.

If the visitor goes to another site and that site gets the referral then that is the risk, but there is still a chance that you will receive it with a 30 day cookie, if it's a 30 min's cookie then you have no chance of getting it at all unless they directly go to your site again and signup within the next 30 min's after clicking through to the site from yours.

Hope you understand what I am trying to explain here.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I don't really know what I was thinking. Haha.

pobi

exposure.

i think your right there must be a recognition for people who refers others most of the time. because it takes a lot of hardwork to do such thing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.