Strange Happenings with Webalizer and Google Analytics

the_stranger

Through 2011, I have (in general) seen Google Analytics visits around 75 every day, and Webalizer visits around 600. I am not concerned with the huge difference in reporting. Rather, I am concerned because, since January 1, I have seen a modest increase in Google Analytics visits, and a sharp decrease in Webalizer visits. I'm seeing around 100 Google visits per day, and around 300 Webalizer visits.

This is presenting a huge problem for me as my eyes are not the only ones that look at the Webalizer stats.

Is there a solution to this, or at the very least a valid explanation?

Thanks all.

conor

It may be the case that Webalizer is counting page visits and Google Analytics is counting unique page vists. The difference between them is that Webalizer is counting visits every time someone loads a page and Google Analytics can actually tell if one person visits multiple pages at multiple times and will only record that as one visit. This is seen as a more accurate method of recording page views.

What this would mean for your figures is that since the start of the year you have seen an increase in unique visitors, but a decrease in how many pages each visitor is viewing from 8 to 3 ( 600/75 = 8, 300/100 = 3 ).

Having said that, that's only a theory as I don't know for sure how Webalizer collects their data.

the_stranger

Thank you for the response. That is quite possible- the only thing that is baffling me is the fact that virtually nothing has changed from December 31 (averaging 600 visits) to January 1 (averaging 300 visits). It just seems like there was some fundamental change in the calculation of our Webalizer stats between those two periods (although I know that is ridiculous).

Furthermore, we haven't noticed any change in actual activity on the website (ie. message board postings, newsletter sign-ups, e-commerce, etc.). If nothing else, the website seems to be quite busy right now.