Starting Out!

pound

Hi

After spending many years in boring office jobs I feel I would like to take the jump into the world of web design. Whilst Im not bad on a PC I have no experience on Web Designing. I would be aiming to run a small business which would initially be on top of my usual 9-5 job, aiming at small local businesses, clubs and so on. I am keen to get any advice any of you may be kind enough to offer, particularly on which home Courses you would recommend, I have found many courses but as I am a novice I do not know which would be the best - I have seen one called WebIntro 3.1 v2 via Training Link which appears to be a good starter, any opinions? How long should I expect to do a course for before I have enough knowledge to start small Sites? I appreciate I would need ongoing education after this in order to improve any skills. Any tips for setting up small business, i.e. do free sites to start with for small businesses/clubs in order to build up a portfolio? Is it feasible to epxect to make a small profit (as I say this would initially be on top of my job) after completing a course such as the above?
Thanks to anyone who can advise/help - any advice is REALLY appreciated. Help me unlock these 9-5 chains!!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Whether you can make a living as a web designer, depends on how talented a designer you are. You have to be very talented with graphics and design to make a living designing sites for others. Having said that, developing your web design skills to build sites for yourself can help you make a good living off the internet without designing sites for others.
You can probably find a lot of what you need to know to get started through various tutorials on the internet.

StephanieCordray

Everything ian said I agree with. I don't think I could ever launch a really successful career as a web designer. I have some code knowledge and all that which I don't mind sharing with others but when it comes to layouts and such, I just don't seem to have the knack for it. I will subcontract under others for coding using their designs for integration but rarely take on work where I design the full site.

Splendidesign

You don't necessarily need to go on a course: it depends how much time you have to experiment. A course is a much quicker way to learn and is probably the easisest way. Then I suggest you spend a while (say 3-6 months) practising and getting your skills up to scratch. Then, when your sites are to a standard that is professional and other designers are praising, then you are ready to start selling sites.
Mike

ISDProductions

take courses for graphic design, learn html, css and php through the millions of free tutorials on the net. spend your free time for the next year perfecting your craft.

I don't think much of web design courses, I guess they have their place. When I was still attending college, I decided to take one of those courses, dropped out of college two weeks later and opened ISDProductions when I realized that my professor knew about half as much as me on the subject and was teaching techniques that went out of date in the late 90's. In the 5 years since, I've taken quite a few of his clients who hear about me from their freinds and associates, so I think there is a lesson to be learned there.

One great way to learn is the "veiw source" button in your browser. The code is right there for your study.

good luck, work hard, never stop learning something new.

Last edited:

jlp7990

If you want to build your porftfolio - offer to create some sites for nonprofits in your area. If you don't know html but want to get the business started try to partner (or hire freelancer) with someone who does the html and not so much the design. They could teach you a few things if you are intrested in coding and help you launch your business. Good luck!