Starting A New Website

asthut

I am new to the forum and I want to design a new website. I don't know a lot about programming other than basic html. Here is what I know. I want to create a site where people can login and post photos and videos. I also want people to be able to make comments on other users posts. In a way it will be similar to Facebook, although people won't have their own profile pages. Instead they will just have a login. Does anyone have any advice on a web hosting site where I can get this started?

justrobin

Maybe you consider hiring a freelance designer to do the site for you in case you are not so fond with programming... Try fiverr for that service.

In terms of domain and webhosting, try godaddy for the domain and hostgator for the webhosting...

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
no way!
godaddy sucks balls worse than anyone else. I'd consider never ever using godaddy...

Absolution

no way!
godaddy sucks balls worse than anyone else. I'd consider never ever using godaddy...

I usually register my domains through them. But they called me up to offer me hosting. They were shocked that I already had a host, and were even more shocked that I could design the site myself. lol

plusoner

I use Suncoast Hosting for both domain registrations and hosting. I know one of the guys that works there and they give a good deal. If you are looking for a larger provider then you should consider the likes of site5.

In terms of Social Media Scripts you should look at something like phpfox.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
control panel is crap. UI is terrible.

transferring from them is a nightmare...
support is incredibly condescending and unhelpful...
if you have a domain that expires, good luck getting it from them...
the ui is absolutely lacking in logic...
the control panel is not intuitive, there are too many hidden menus, too many clicks to get to simple options...
I personally find sites hosted their are slow...
and godaddy, i mean seriously what a shithouse name.
and I suspect because i'm not american, i dont get the same level of service as you guys would...

Absolution

I have been trying to take a look around to see if there is some sort of consensus http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-59212.html

I know for me with domain registration I haven't had a problem, but it seems people have mixed feelings having them as hosts. It could be with my domain registration I never had to contact customer support ever. You can probably find a better host out there, rather than have everything with one company. I personally have a host elsewhere, where I use customer support more often with the host.

mackonline

thanks

transferring from them is a nightmare...
support is incredibly condescending and unhelpful...
if you have a domain that expires, good luck getting it from them...
the ui is absolutely lacking in logic...
the control panel is not intuitive, there are too many hidden menus, too many clicks to get to simple options...
I personally find sites hosted their are slow...
and godaddy, i mean seriously what a shithouse name.
and I suspect because i'm not american, i dont get the same level of service as you guys would...

1. LOL
2. I will never use Godaddy.

AmyJNelson

When you start building a new website, the first thing you have to do is focus on the basics. Of course, the basics are
to the number of visitors perspective view and navigate your website. So first things first thing is to get the shape design
you wish. It's best to start drawing some basic provisions on paper so you can get an idea in your head about what
you want and where they go. The navigation and design is more important than the finer details. Make sure you really
get the design down and not even imagine that the first visitor will have to go after hitting its home page.

Now is the time to work on the look of your website. Would you like bright colors? The color scheme is the next most
important after the presentation. Once you have chosen the colors you want its up to the finer details of design.
This can be a time consuming process as it could have an idea and mental image of what you want. Its nearly
impossible to get the image on the right at the first attempt. Whether your graphic design outsourcing or trying to do
yourself. It is necessary to make things right.

Once your happy with the layout and design aspects is time to start with content. The content is most valuable
part of your website. It must be well written and really draw you in their reality and make them feel their
presence. As if he were actually talking right to them. It should not be much different if you're talking to someone
a phone. That is the direct way it should be. Do not worry too much about keyword density or the like. Really what
your content come alive is more important. Once the basic content is created you can simply set on your website
Live.

The best thing is to have afew friends or colleagues take a look at their new website and give you some feedback from users before
try to get more traffic to the site. Once you get some information you'll know your on the right track or if necessary
make adjustments. Now you can make your website live for all to view! Take a moment once the site is live
congradulate yourself on a job well done. Now its the minority that has its own website online.

Styla

In my point I think there is no issue with web hosting, you can host your web site in normal web hosting service provider. Hardest thing in your scenario is developing a web site with those features. So find a good web developer and get his advice.

n1c0_ds

Facebook was built with experienced people over quite some time. I would recommend you start with smaller projects that are useful to YOU.

I have met many prospects who had the next Facebook in mind, and I've turned them all down because it simply doesn't make sense. Even Google can't fight the popularity of Facebook, and very few competitors can monetize a social network.

I suggest you take some time to learn HTML and CSS correctly, then start working with PHP and progressively move on to bigger projects.

If you still wish to pursue your project, then look into hiring a freelance web developer and pay him weekly. I don't know any dev worth his salt that would work on the promise of future profit.

If you're looking for a reliable host, A Small Orange has fantastic support. Once your site grows, you can always move it to Linode or some other VPS. The most recommended hosts are always A Small Orange, HostGator and Linode, in order of power requirements.

PS: Start small before you dream big. Good luck! :)