Spacing of column wrong only on widescreen monitor??

playsunday

In have a website that I just updated using css (my first attempt). Everything previewed the way I wanted it, but I opened it on my notebook with a widscreen monitor and it moves all the text in th second column over. That column has 250px of padding to allow for the sidebar, but on the widescreens, it is adding the 250px PAST the sidebar. Only does it in IE also, firefox works fine. Site is http://www.playsunday.com/ the column that is giving me problems is called "main content" .
I am assuming there is a special rule or something that will let it be viewed with the different monitor,,,but I have no clue, Any advice would be appreciated,,,,Just be gentle :rolleyes:,, I am still pretty new to the CSS.

Thanks

arminium

the joys of cross browser compliance

Just split that column into two with a nested table or learn to work in divs which is much easier once you master it as you can absolutely position each div on the screen, working in tableless is much easier with cross browser

i think spliting the column will be easier

or google "table padding hacks"

hacks are messy, they are mostly going to stop your page validating too.

and the problem with hacks for ie is that you need to hack for ie5.5, ie6, ie7, ie8 as they all work little different, so i would say that all the time required to learn all the hacks, it would be quicker to find some tutorials and learn fluid css tableless design

playsunday

Thanks for your reply, When you say "fluid css tableless design " is that the same thing as working with divs?, Trying to get away from tables,,my header is one big table, just got frustrated trying to make evrything line up right.

arminium

yes fluid is divs only no tables

I did have a look at your site, and its wouldn't be too hard to build it fluid

google "css page layouts"

there heaps of sites like mike myers and cssplay, that have examples for you to start with

and they are free so look around, don't get caught buying css layouts that someone has mocked up or pinched from these sites

I just don't have the time right now or id write you a template example

:p

playsunday

I will check it out..

I will check it out...I want to learn to do it myself,,I just to some points where I get stuck,,I will try this and re-post with what I come up with.
Thanks Again

playsunday

Now I get it,,I think. My code hase the css built in with the html,,I saved it as a template,, but now I see the css attached as a link is much easier.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know playsunday, this is just a critique because it looks like you have this issue resolved...

The site would look better if the left column (sidebar1) extended all the way to the footer. This can be easily done with very little editing to your code...if your interested let me know I will tell what to change.

Clean code nevertheless, nice work.

playsunday

Well I finally got both of my columns all the way down to the footer. I did it using containers with the background color and the nested them together with the content. Here is the finished product if you care to look.
http://www.playsunday.com
Thanks for the help.