Some recommendations for a small Ecommerce site

seancss

Hi firstly im new to this forum and can see myself spending alot of time here in the future, i'm relatively new to web design but have a college degree in computer programming,

Im looking to build myself a small online Shop, i've constructed one before using Joomla and virtuemart but I would think building one from scratch would suit this light weight site, ill have a main frontpage which links to a shop page that sells around four different items my question is can I just build the site in CSS and Html then after it is near completion add in the shopping cart or would it be advisable to integrate it as I go?, ill have two pages of different goods and upon selection of whichever item the shopping cart would keep track until they hit the checkout.

From reading this forum I see Oscommerce is a free shopping cart and people suggested using it,

Any idea's / advice would be good so I can divise a plan of action before I start.

MarkR

I would never discourage anyone from making something from scratch, especially since I do it all the time. But what I would say is have a look at what is available first, there is a lot to think about when creating bespoke e-commerce site. You have to be very sure it's secure, especially since you deal with money!

Anyway take a look at:

Prestashop
Opencart
Magento
zencart

OSCommerce is pretty old now and the community is dying a little bit. Most eshops you see being hacked these days are OSCommerce.

seancss

Great thanks Mark for prompt reply, the advice about Ocommerce is now taken aboard,

Regarding security is this allot to do with the integration process as myself as a noob can see it as copying already written modules for one of your mentioned carts or am I wrong in thinking this, my php is poor at best,

I've set up my Mac running Apache server, php myql etc so I can build it before buying SSL hosting.

What I'm having an issue with is the difficulty integrating the shopping card and now that you mention it the security, am i in over my head as I would love to design this site from scratch as I only have every built from a template, I have completely edited templates before but the shopping cart was always a plugin I installed.

Thanks.