Software nightmares for dummies

Kiwiberry

Once again, I’ve got more software questions. I’ve already decided on purchasing Studio MX 2004, but I’m not sure which one. Here are the two packages I’m looking at:

• Dreamweaver MX 2004
• Flash MX 2004
• Fireworks MX 2004
• Freehand MX
• ColdFusion MX 6.1 Server-Developer Edition (Windows platform only)
• Macromedia Flash Player 7

and

• Dreamweaver MX 2004
• Flash MX Pro 2004
• Fireworks MX 2004
• Freehand MX
• ColdFusion MX 6.1 Server-Developer Edition (Windows platform only)
• Macromedia Flash Player 7

Now the difference being Flash MX Pro 2004, Can anyone educate me on why I want Flash pro vs. basic? Actually, I’m not even sure I need the studio.

Studio or just dreamweaver? * d#$% back to square one *

Next question: If I plan on using dreamweaver for design and editing web pages, do I need Adobe’s Creative Suite 2 or can I get away with just getting Adobe Photoshop?

Sorry, if I’m rambling, my small web site and big purchase are making me a bit nervous. :)

StephanieCordray

Well, i don't know what the difference is... i don't have the pro version, lol... but I believe you won't need both the Macromedia studio and the Adobe creative suite. You could probably get away with just Adobe photoshop.

I'd get the macromedia studio over the adobe suite... they are kind of comparable... not completely but kind of... and macromedia isn't as resource intensive as Adobe... however, I'm speaking of lesser version experiences.. I haven't tried the Adobe suite being fairly happy with the versions I have. Illustrator 10 which I believe is called something else now drives me nuts because it will lock up my computer momentarily from time to time and my computer is no light weight.

Last edited:

Baldur McQueen

Difference between Flash / Flash Pro

Hi there.

I believe the main difference between MF 2004 and MFPro 2004 is in additional options regarding video work and enhanced ability to contact external data sources. I have also read something about the option of dropping the timeline and using some sort of tree view - slides and transitions - in your work.

Only once have I experienced problems regarding not having the pro version - but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I remember it had something to do with a project that needed to implement a video file into an external application.

Anyway - I think the difference between the two is so little that you should not spend more money on the pro version without having a good reson for doing so.
Like the previous poster - I would recommend Macromedia. The Studio is a good choice - some of it you won't use - but hey, it's cool and has nice icons :D

ISDProductions

why not studio 8? mx is now dated....many upgrades by switching to 8

http://www.macromedia.com

Also I would just use Golive CS2 for editing my web sites (thats what i use) there is no reason to purchase dreamweaver and fire works and what not if your getting the creative suite(basically macromedia's versions of the adobe products). If i were you, i'd get the creative suite and think about getting flash8 and maybe cold fusion

Last edited: