Site re-design

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I think the site looks good, it is certainly different from a lot of sites. My main criticism is the text looks a tiny fraction too small, and perhaps you may want to experiment with the green color of the text, perhaps a lighter shade may make it stand out better against the dark background.
Also the white news box on the homepage doesnt blend well.
And when you click on a link, the page should open in the same window and not a new window.

ISDProductions

thanks, i have it open a new window so that the home page always stays around, once you leave the home page, all links open in the same window. I'm not sure what you mean about "the green color of the text" it should be teal, and on roll-over orange. all other text should be white. Thanks for your opinion on the news box...i've been trying to decide if i was going to keep that around or not. Thanks again

StephanieCordray

it is teal but teal is green with just a slight touch of blue, lol. i have to agree with ian about the sizing... it's a bit small. The contrast against the black background makes it hard to read at that size. It just kind of blurs together to me. However, take what I say about that with a grain of salt. I have really bad astigmatism and old eyes to boot.

Vaelor

Personally, I think it's very effective - I find the teal a great color against a black background and it works well with the graphic logo you've used. Also, the text size is perfect to my eyes.

That said, I have immaculate vision that astounds most people, I'm running a 1280x1024 res. on a 15" monitor and I *still* do everything in 2pt. font, not to mention that I can see a grey cat sitting on a black road at midnight with my sunglasses on from a hundred paces away, so in all fairness, what seems quite legible and attractive to me, could look like a tiny colored blur to your average web-surfer! =P

If this were my site, this is right about where I'd be agonizing between what I think looks great to me, and what is easiest on the eyes on the general public, and trying to find a compromise. The first feedback I usually get on any of my web design work is "Why is the font so small?! I can hardly read it!!", so I get this a lot. =P

Oh, and as Ian said, the white news box definately does not work, though. Personally I'd ditch a white square on a black background altogether, but at the very least I'd recommend putting a border around the box and a couple of pixels space between the text and the box's edge - having your text right flush up against the edge of something with no margin at all is never a great look.

But yeah, otherwise, definately my kind of site. Neat, well-laid out, and simple, but pleasing to the eye with an effective color scheme. I like it! =)

ISDProductions

Thanks Vaelor, Ditching the box today... Although I beleive I'm going to stick with the font size, I had played around with a slightly larger font earlier and didn't like the change in atmosphere it created for my page. Thanks everybody for all of your great suggestions.

Vaelor

Heh, no problem. As I said, personally, I quite like the font size. =)

One other little thing I didn't notice before but just caught my eye - the little curvy arrows on your four links at the top - you should valign your text with the images so they're vertically centered with eachother - at the moment, the arrows sit just above the text line, and it looks out of whack.

Also, can I suggest using a style code to remove the underlines from your hyperlinks? I use it a lot on my sites, particularly on sites with black backgrounds - some site layouts just look better without underlined links, I find. Try it out and see if you like it, anyway.

ISDProductions

Vaelor, On my display testing, the text links are in the vertical center of the arrow to the left of the link....is that not how it appears in your browser? I have done alot of testing to make sure it looks the same everywhere....if so what browser/resolution are you at so that i can check it out. Thanks for the suggestion on removing the underlines, I would like to see them gone too, but I feel they aid with the navigation more than they take away from the pages feel. Thanks again for your help