Simple site structure question with .ASP

mmendo

Hello,

I'm an novice/intermediate web developer. I've developed e-commerce sites before from boxed packages that I modified to suit my needs -- but I am in no means an expert. I have a simple question about site structure. . .

My company has an .asp e-commerce site. The site consists of the shopping section as well as a number of informational sections. It would be my instinct to put the informational sections within subfolders of the site. They contain static content, but are still .asp pages, as they contain components such as a header and left bar nav that work dynamically. I know I've created .asp pages in subfolders before.

I have someone telling me that all pages should go in the root folder to allow the dynamic aspects to work properly. Is this true? It seems like it could become a bear to manage as the site expands if things are not well organized. But if I am wrong about the subfolders could someone explain to my why.

Thanks for any input.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
no, this is not true. asp pages can run from anywhere in the site under IIS without any drawbacks.

that's like saying that all apps on your computer should be installed on the root of your c drive in order to function properly. which of course is bizarre.

Last edited: