Shopping cart software

pghdesigner

I'm a fairly new web designer that has never worked with shopping carts. This man is contracting some freelance designers and he really likes my designs so I have a good chance at the job, but some of the sites he needs he wants a shopping cart included.

Is there any software out there that's good to use when building a shopping cart for HTML sites that's not insanely expensive? I'd like some of your opinions on them instead of me taking a chance!

Thanks!

ErikFox

It’s not possible to create a shopping cart using html. There are plenty of free shopping carts available so you will be able to integrate with your website. I would recommend Zen Cart and osCommerce. Google and you will find it for free.

RenaissanceMan

There's only one choice

It's got a bit of a steep learning curve, but Magento leaves OSCommerce and Zen Cart standing. It's got a feature set you'd traditionally have to pay huge wads of cash for, but the Community Edition is completely free.

It's very well architected, completely modular and there's a fallback system in the themes whereby if a template for a particular piece of functionality does not exist in your theme (for example, something that's added by a plugin) it'll fall back to the template for the default theme.

Your best bet for learning to skin it would be to check out the wiki and start from Yoast's Blank SEO theme.