Search Engine Optimization Basics

CT-Matt

Here is a brief article I wrote for the web designer's blog at http://ctmstudios.net/blog.php

Thanks for reading, and I wish you the best with your SEO.

You don't need to hire an SEO professional to get your new website listed in the search engines. There are several basic techniques you can follow to get started in the quest for online exposure.

Firstly, sort through all of your meta tags and make sure each set of tags is valid to the page that contains it. There is no point in putting the same meta description on every page of your website - Google wants to have a summary of each page's content, and this is where a good portion of it comes from. Choose meta keywords that are the most unique to your website. The more vague the keywords, the less chance you will have of gathering visitors who are looking for your specific product.

Each page title should contain the name of the page it describes. For example, don't name all of your pages "Tom's Greenhouse" when you could include such things as Location, Contact Info, Products, etc. Google makes a note when title content lines up with content within the page.

Lastly, put some effort into "sprinkling" your pages with the meta keywords that you've chosen. This does not mean placing them randomly in the header or footer. Rather, in your body text, include them in the descriptions of your products, company information, etc. Google will tally up some bonus points for you when it realizes that your keywords and content are a valid part of your site.

ahk2chan

Thanks for the information. One comment though, I thought that your post is about getting your site listed? The information provided is the basics of on-page SEO, which I totally agree that you should get it done before listing the site.

To get your site listed, most of the time all you need to do is to submit a sitemap in the Google WebMaster tool.

CT-Matt

Thanks for that correction; I described it that way in the sense that these techniques will give you better chances of a higher listing, not simply getting indexed.

ahk2chan

Well CT-Matt's blog post is a good start. Also there are TONS of articles written on SEO if you do a Google search.

Here are a few keywords you can search on:
- keyword research
- on-page optimization
- inbound link building

For your site, you first need to start with adding a meta description in header and create an H1 tag.

charlesefe

Seo

I just want to say thanks for your info,but in my own opinion manual directory submission be the best way of getting free traffic to your site.Even google,yahoo msn and other search engine are in love with manual submission.

ahk2chan

Yes I agree with quality inbound link building. However, I would be doing on-page / keyword optimization first so to make sure the content of what Google has crawled and indexed create the best search result.

saluha

Friend..i agree with all your opinion about SEO.
We can do itself without hire SEO professional.
Its free but still need time to get what we want. The important from all is we must get link as much as we can. So we can get good PR in search engine

Gorgy

Your post reminds us that relevancy is one of the most important keys in SEO
No doubt your content and keywords should be relevant to your title and meta description.

mikecriss

nice information .........u describe here really in simple and clean words ........specially it helps for newbies in SEO like me as well .......so thanks for sharing with us buddy .....

bleuken

i agree that we can do it ourselves (SEO) however there are some businesses and companies (and even individuals) that does not have time to work on with this matter, that is why they are hiring someone to do it for themselves so that they can focus on what they are doing best, doing business. Of course you might be referring to individual's point of view.

Lillian

hi, Which is the best tool of Keyword Analysis.....?
Is Directory Submission best way of Off Page Opptimization...?